Chapter 19: Within My Grasp

"Excuse me a minute, Amber." The trucker said as he pulled his truck off the road and slowed down nearby a fast foods restaurant. He parked his semi out by the road. "Do you want anything?" He asked. Rachel herself wouldn't be caught dead in a restaurant like this.

She would rather be dead and buried six feet under.

"Um, no thanks." She said, slightly crinkling her nose in disgust. The trucker shrugged. "Okay. Be just a few." He said. He climbed out and closed the door. He walked around the hood of the semi and walked to the restaurant, pulling his pants up. Rachel cringed slightly and slid down her seat in attempt to obscure her view from the public. And being rush hour at a fast foods restaurant, this was a risky spot to be in.

Where's Brody when you need him? Can this guy at least put on some deodorant?

Rachel just listened to the country-like music playing lowly from the radio. Not her presumed taste in music, and in fact it nearly drove her back to sleep from boredom, but she wasn't about to change the stations without the truckers knowledge. This was his semi truck. He might not like that.

This could be worse, I guess. Rachel thought as she looked around the interior. It was at least large enough for her to hide in the seat, away from the windows.

Just, relax Rachel. You're almost there. Just hang on for a little bit longer.

Rachel let out a sigh. She ran her hands down her face, agitation setting in. Long Beach was within her grasp. After all she's been through, Rachel just wanted to get there. To meet Sera. To finally end this long journey she put herself through.

Rachel grabbed her hat off her head and ran her fingers through her hair. She put her hat back on and slouched in her chair.

And suddenly, she burped. Rachel smirked to herself.

"So unladylike."

Sam's ways must have rubbed off on me.

After a few more minutes, the door opened and the trucker climbed back in. "You can relax, Amber. Ain't no one out there." Rachel shook her head. "I'm not gonna take any chances." She told him. "Suit yourself." He said.

He took a bite into his burger. "Lishhen... We're comin' up on my deshhtination in about an hour or two." Rachel wasn't a big fan of him talking while he ate. It grossed her out. He wiped some ketchup off the corner of his mouth with his thumb and licked it off.

"As we've discussed, I ain't takin' you to Long Beach."

"And I told you I can handle the rest." Rachel told him. "Ain't no big deal." She said.

"You're always so moody, kid."

"Sorry. Being on the run, chased by cops, being reunited with your best friend only to leave her again, being on the news worldwide, practically dying out in the middle of the desert, and being stuck with a hillbilly trucker, does that to you."

Hamburger in hand, the trucker stared at her for a few seconds. Before bursting out in laughter. Rachel looked at him seriously, shaking her head questionably. "What's so funny?" She asked. "Calm down, Amber." He said as his laughter died down. "Look kid, I ain't doubtin' that you've put yourself through hell. If anything, you reminded me of myself at your age. I was a hell raiser back in my youth. I know you don't wanna hear an old trucker talk about his life. But I ain't got nothin' against you, Amber."

Maybe, this was the first time that Rachel came to an understanding with the trucker. Until he said, "Well, counting out the fact that you made the ridiculous decision to run away, leaving your poor parents to worry about you, and becoming the worlds most famous girl for all the wrong reasons."

Rachel rolled her eyes, groaning and pressing her back to the seat. "Just when I thought we were getting somewhere." She said. The trucker smirked as he finished his burger.

"So, you know my name. You saved my life. I think I at the very least get to know your name." Rachel said.

"Emmett." He replied.

"Emmett?" Rachel said.

"Emmett Sterling. Been driving this thing since 2004." He said.

Rachel nodded slowly. "Right..." She said. Emmett reached behind him and pulled his seatbelt back on. "Buckle up, Amber. We're gettin' back out on the road." He said. "Got just about an hour and a half left before we get there." Emmett told her.

Thank god. Let's end this joyride.

The truck turned onto the highway and started driving down the roads.

"Momma always used to tell me that she wanted me to become a lawyer or a politician. Yeah, like that shit was ever gonna happen." Emmett said with a mocking tone. "So I said to hell with that. I'm gonna drive this here truck." He patted the wheel. "Ain't that right, big girl?" He said with a smirk. "Me and Bess go way back." He said.

Rachel grinned. "Why does everyone I know with trucks give them a name?" She said.

"Because trucks, especially a semi, essentially become a part of you. You spend everyday with them. You drive them. Take care of them. They're like a mechanical child, you see?"

"I guess..." Rachel said. No. She couldn't see.

Please let this ride be over soon.

She wasn't in the mood for anymore small talk. So she just looked out the window as Emmett continued to draw on about boring stuff he found interesting.

I'm in hell.

I'M IN HELL!!!

~

About an hour and a half later, they finally made it to Emmett's destination. They parked outside of his delivery location. Rachel thanked him for the ride and climbed out of the semi. He stepped out to start unloading his cargo.

"Safe travels, Amber. See ya around." He called out.

Rachel turned to him, saluted to him, and turned forward.

Back on her feet and back to good health, and with Long Beach just about an hour out, Rachel was ready to walk the final steps to Long Beach. Rachel adjusted the backpack straps comfortably on her shoulders and continued walking.

It was hard to believe that this was almost over. Rachel walked through hell just to get here. She's met some people along the way. Reunited with old friends. And of course, got lots of exercise from all the walking and running. This was honestly the best adventure Rachel could have asked for, minus the part where she quite literally died in the desert.

But now, there were no more stops. Rachel was going to get to Long Beach if it was the last goddamn thing she would ever do.

And now that she was so very close, fate would have to kill her for good.