Chapter 17: Back on Foot

Later that evening, Rachel sat at Sam's desk in her room. Deep in thought and overthinking what occurred between herself and Sam earlier.

Rachel. Get a damn hold of yourself. What the fuck was that earlier? Sam is 16. Nothing can happen between you.

Sam was beautiful. And being with her again made Rachel happy. Every time she looked at her, Rachel felt giddy. Excitement. Butterflies. But Rachel understood that nothing else could happen. And she mentally tortured herself for letting things get this far with their reunion.

She sighed, running her fingers through her hair. Things were about to get complicated. Especially when she has to leave, it's just going to make it that much harder to go.

And it was at this point, that Rachel was really losing faith in herself to not get caught. With the cops and the detective on the case, they were most likely right on her trail. Rachel sat back, pressing her back against the chair. She breathed out heavily. This was looking like it wouldn't end well.

Still in deep thought, Rachel was oblivious when Sam came into the room calling her name. It wasn't until Sam gently shook her shoulder when Rachel was brought out of her trance.

"You okay, Rach'? You were totally spaced out for a minute." Sam said. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking about everything that's been happening." Rachel replied. Sam sat on the desk. "I've been told I'm a good listener." She said. "What's up?" She asked.

Rachel sighed. "Sam, do you think I'm in over my head?" She asked. "What do you mean?" Sam questioned. "I mean should have I done any of this?" Rachel said. "Why did I ever think that I would stand a chance against a whole squad of cops?" Rachel put her face in her hands. "This was such a bad idea. Why did I do this?" She said.

A few moments of silence passed before Sam spoke. "Because you wanted to meet her." She said. Rachel looked up at her. "Your birth mother." Sam added. Rachel's eyes looked down at the desk in thought.

"Your dad lied. And he shouldn't have. You felt angry. Betrayed." Sam looked down at Rachel.

"So you left. You started this journey that you knew wasn't going to be easy. And hell, maybe you even looked death in the eye getting this far. I mean, look. You made here to Vegas on your own! That's fucking insane, Rachel!" Sam said.

Rachel smiled sheepishly. "Well, maybe I had some help." She said. "I met this guy a while back. He helped me with a cut I had on my ankle. He gave me some money that I used to get here." Rachel told her.

"But still. You got that far on your own. You've gotten this far on your own too. Why start questioning yourself when your this damn awesome?" Sam said. "Rachel, you are amazing." She added. "And if you keep believing in yourself, you can make it."

Rachel nodded, starting to feel more confident. Sam's pep talk definitely motivated her to prove herself wrong. She will make it to Long Beach. And she will meet Sera.

Rachel looked up at Sam and smiled. "Anyone ever tell you that you're also a good motivator?" She said. Sam smiled and shrugged. "I'm just spitting facts here, Rach'. You're fucking awesome. And you need to accept it." She said.

Rachel's smile faded when she remembered that she also needed to talk with Sam about the things that have been happening between them.

Rachel stood from the chair and walked to the middle of the room. "Sam. There's also something else we need to talk about." She said. Sam jumped off the table. "Sure." She said as she walked over to Rachel. "What's on your mind?" She asked. Rachel crossed her arms. She turned to Sam and said, "These passed few days, I've noticed... something. Something, more. Between us."