Chapter 15: A Day in Vegas

Kickstart my Heart by Mötley Crüe played loudly through the speakers as Sam drove wildly through the desert off-roads of Nevada.

"Ahhhhh!!!" Rachel screamed, terrified and clinging onto the handle for dear life, legs raised onto the seat.

"Woo-hoo!!!" Sam shouted as she held her hand out the window.

Even though Rachel was absolutely terrified, there was also a feeling of thrill and excitement. Her heart pounded in her chest as the truck raced through the dirt roads.

A sharp turn was coming up and Rachel said, "Sam, there's a turn!!"

"Watch this!" Sam said, grinning widely.

The truck turned sideways and began drifting around the turn. "Yeaaaahhhh!" Sam shouted. "You are CRAZY!!!" Rachel shouted. "I hope so!" Sam replied. When they passed the turn, the truck straightened and Sam sped down the road.

As they drifted and turned on the dirt roads, Rachel began to enjoy the thrill ride. And soon enough, she was whooping and laughing with Sam as they drove through the off-roads.

And at last, after one final drift, they skidded to a stop. Rachel and Sam jerked forward and backwards into their seats from the rough stop. "Well, whatcha think? Have fun?" Sam said. "That was fucking incredible!" Rachel replied excitedly. "You are fucking incredible!" She said. "Where the hell did you learn to do that?" Rachel asked. With a grin, Sam just shrugged. "You pick this stuff up with a Raptor." She said. "That, and when you're bored and got nothing better to do, just come out here and have fun." Sam told her.

Rachel smiled softly. She leaned on the center console. "That's hot." She said.

Sam chuckled nervously. "I bet that's high praise coming from you." She replied, letting her hand rest on the wheel.

"Only people I like get to hear it." Rachel said back. A shade of red formed across Sam's face. She chuckled softly before turning away, hiding her blush. 

"Thanks for taking me out here, Sam. This was fun." Rachel said. "Scary. But fun." She added. "No problem. Next time you're in Vegas, we can do it again sometime." Sam said. Rachel winked at her. "Damn right." She said.

Now driving at a normal pace, Sam started driving her truck back to the highway roads that led back to the city. Rachel looked over at Sam, a small smile on her face. She just stared at Sam as she drove. Taking notice, Sam looked over at Rachel, arching her eyebrow. "You're staring." She said. "Something on your mind?" Sam asked. "Nope. Nothing at all." Rachel replied and looked out at the road.

The drive back was calm. Sam drove with one hand on the wheel. The other in a fist where she rested her cheek on. Rachel looked out at the road, still getting over the adrenaline from the drifts and fast driving. She settled back in her seat and looked out the passenger window.

Sam turned up the radio as Holiday Road by Lindsey Buckingham started playing.

Rachel nodded her head to the catchy beat of the song, tapping her foot on the floor. Sam drummed her hands against the wheel.

I gotta say. I'm digging Sam's playlist.

When they got back to Vegas, Sam showed Rachel around the city. Over the course of the day, Sam and Rachel did many things together, making up for all the lost time over the years. Memories were made and laughs were shared.

Sam even took Rachel to the High Roller Ferris wheel located in the strip of Las Vegas. Rachel was absolutely terrified at how high they went.

But for the first time, Rachel was having so much fun that she actually forgot that she was on the run.