Chapter 5: Pursued

Today is May 2nd, 2013. Day 9. I can't believe it's been one fucking week and two days. Conditions right now aren't the greatest. These passed few days have been rough. Luckily I came prepared, but that still doesn't take away the cold nights and the rain.

God, I would love a shower right now.

Thankfully, I'm a probably a day or two away from California so that's some good news. But from all the walking, I can feel my feet rubbing against my shoes which is starting to get a little uncomfortable. Hope I don't end up getting blisters on my feet. And worst case scenario, they get infected. I can't let that happen. I need to get down to California before conditions get any worse.

Or before I get caught by the cops. And trust me when I say that there's been a few close calls now. By now, the whole country knows what's happening.

Hell. Maybe even the whole world knows.

Rachel grabbed her cap off her head, running her fingers through her hair. She felt how dirty it was, letting out a small groan of disgust. She rubbed her hand on her flannel, exposed from her unzipped jacket. Rachel put her hat back on and pulled her hood over her head.

It was still surreal for Rachel to think about how far she's come. Just last week, she was in Arcadia Bay and now she's a few days out from California. It really filled her ego, seeing how much she's already been through and how far she's gone. And give it a few more days, and she'll be crossing the Californian border.

But the toll on her body was being felt as well. Her legs ached. She was tired.

Rachel let out a sigh of pain. "Shit." She muttered. Okay. This can't go on much longer. Her feet were so sore at this point. Her ankles were pretty much nonexistent. Legs about to give out any day.

Rachel's knees hit the ground. She let out a pained groan, exhausted from all the walking and running. She took off her backpack to reduce the weight on her back and put it on the ground next to her. Tears slipped from her eyes. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve and looked up at the sky, now orange from the sunset.

Suddenly, Rachel heard a noise that scared her to her core.

Just a few miles away, Rachel saw a search helicopter hovering through the sky. Along with that, she heard police sirens in the distance. Son of a bitch. Someone ratted me out back there. Having just left a small town, Rachel knew she didn't have much time to get out of there.

On your feet, Rachel.

Rachel grabbed her backpack, hoisted it onto her shoulders, and stood to her feet. She ran into the woods to conceal her location from the police. She ran through the trees as she heard the helicopter and sirens getting closer. But with the dimming sun, her range of vision was short.

The helicopter flew over her, search light lighting up the forest. Police cars pulled up to the woods, screeching to a stop in the road. "Get the dogs out!" One of the officers said. A cop approached the K-9 unit cruiser and opened the door, grabbing the dog by the collar. "Come on, boy." She said. The other door was opened and the second dog was brought out.

Rachel heard the barks coming from behind her. Breathing heavily, she ran faster, pushing herself to her limits.

The helicopter above radioed down to the cops below. "We've got no sight on Rachel Amber."

The dogs led the police into the woods, barking as they followed Rachel's scent. "Fuck. Can't see a goddamn thing out here." A cop said.

"Just let the dogs lead us to the girl. She's here. I know she is."

As Rachel continued running, the search light finally landed on her. "There she is! We got sights on Rachel Amber. Repeat. We've got our sights on Rachel Amber!"

Adrenaline kicking in, Rachel ran even faster now that the cops had her in their sights. Behind her, she heard "Rachel! Stop!" But she couldn't. Not after she's made it this far. She couldn't turn back now. She refused.

Finally, the edge of the woods came into sight. Rachel darted for the exit, still hearing the dogs and police behind her. The search light following her from above. Rachel burst through the trees, but skidded to a stop when she nearly ran off a cliff into a sheer drop into a river. "Fuck! No, no no no." Rachel said, peering down into the fast traveling water. The helicopter came to a stop above her, search light shining down on her.

The cops emerged from the trees accompanied by their dogs. Rachel turned around, making eye contact with the officer. "Rachel. It's over." He said. "You have nowhere to go." Rachel took steps back as he slowly approached her. "Come with us." He said. "It's not safe out here. Rachel, your parents..." He said. Rachel's heart jumped in her chest at the mention of her parents. "They're... very worried. Please." He told her.

The K-9's barked at Rachel, ready to pounce on her. Though, that wasn't necessary. Rachel wasn't a threat.

The cop held out his hand, continuing to inch closer to the girl. "Please, Rachel. Just take my hand." Rachel's steps led her to the edge of the cliff. Nearly falling off, Rachel caught her balance. But an idea came to mind. Rachel took another look down at the river. The water moved fast and was undoubtedly dangerous. But it could provide her an escape.

Rachel looked at the cop again, narrowing her eyes into a glare. He saw what she was thinking about. "Don't-" He said. Rachel turned and jumped. "Rachel!!" The officer shouted. "Goddammit!" Another said.

Rachel plunged into the water. It immediately started carrying her through river. It was freezing cold. And it was violent. Rachel swished and swashed under the water before finally swimming up to the surface. Rachel gasped for air when she reached the top. But the rough water threw her around.

On the ledge, the cops looked down into the river. The search light shined down below, but the cops didn't see Rachel. "Dammit." The cop muttered, angry and disappointed that he couldn't get Rachel to cooperate.

Back in the river, Rachel frantically searched for something she could grab. A log. Anything to stop her. She saw a piece of a fallen tree in the water that she tried to grab, but when she did it snapped and she was pulled with the water.

But up ahead, land was quickly approaching. Rachel tried her best to swim over to the land, pushing her arms through the rough waters. As she got closer, the water calmed. And finally, she was out of the water.

"Fuck, that sucked." Rachel said as she crawled onto solid ground.

Once she was on land, Rachel laid on her back. Arms spread out on the ground, breathing heavily. After catching her breath, Rachel sat up. Anger set in. Someone squealed in that town. Sold her out. Rachel stood up and grabbed her backpack off her back.

"Fuck!" She yelled, throwing it.

"Ugh!!!" Rachel kicked some rocks into the air.

Rachel sat on a log, pressing her face in her hands.

That. Can not. Happen again.

Rachel opened her backpack, and despite not losing anything, everything was wet. Rachel shook her head. "Fuck them." Because of course the cops had to come and ruin everything. It was all going so well.

Rachel sighed and put her backpack on the ground beside her leg. She looked out at the passing water in the river.

"I'm so fucked."