Chapter 4: On Foot

The next morning, Rachel's eyes slowly opened. Being greeted by the bright morning sun. Rachel groaned and shielded her eyes from the bright rays. She yawned and stretched her arms out. She grabbed her phone to check what time it was but it unfortunately died over the night. "Come on, now." Rachel said to herself. She glared at her dead phone and let out a groan. Rachel put it in her pocket. She grabbed her backpack and slung it over her shoulders and started making her way around to the front of the gas station.

Rachel decided to get an energy bar from the station and entered the building. Once finding what she wanted, she brought it to the counter. She placed it on the countertop and the cashier scanned it.

"There's still no update on Rachel Amber's whereabouts. Just a reminder. Rachel has long blonde hair, and a blue feathered earring on her left ear. She has two tattoos on her wrist and on her calf. On her wrist, a star. On her leg, a dragon." Said the reporter on the radio.

Rachel's eyes went wide and she immediately looked down to hide her face from the cashier.

"It's a shame what's happened." The cashier said. "I feel sorry for her family." He said. Rachel slowly nodded. "Y-Yeah..." She said with a suspicious stutter. But luckily, the cashier didn't pick up on it.

A guitar softly strummed as Seasons by Chris Cornell started playing through the radio.

"There you go, have a nice day." The cashier said. Rachel grabbed it, giving him a quick smile before heading to the door. "Hey kid!" He said. Rachel stopped, heart dropping to her feet. She slowly turned to him. He smiled, giving her a nod. "Safe travels." He said.

Summer nights and long warm days

Rachel smiled back at him and nodded.

Are stolen as the old moon falls

She turned back to the door and made her way out. Heart still racing from that encounter.

And my mirror shows another face

Rachel pulled her hood over her head and walked out to the highway.

Another place to hide it all

Rachel walked down the highway, hands gripping her backpack straps. Gray rain clouds hovering over her.

~

And I'm lost, behind

Rachel found a spot to rest for a while, finally letting her sore feet rest.

The words I'll never find
And I'm left, behind

The rain fell from the gray sky, thunder roared above.

As seasons roll on by

~

Sleeping with a full moon blanket

At night, Rachel sat next to a fire she managed to make. She hugged her knees to her chest.

Sand and feathers for my head

The fire shined off her face, emitting a golden shine.

Dreams have never been the answer
And dreams have never made my bed

Her eyebrows furrowed, Rachel sighed as she watched the fire crackle.

Dreams have never made my bed

~

And I'm lost, behind

Rachel lit her cigarette and put it between her lips.