Chapter 12: Sin City

Rachel leaned her head against the window, watching the desert pass by. They were well into Nevada now.

This is really happening. Like, actually really happening. As much as I've wanted to see Sam again, I never thought I would ever get the chance. But now here I am. I wonder if she'll even recognize me.

Of course she will, Rachel. She's seen you on TV by now. Everyone has.

Rachel leaned her head against the window, watching as they traveled through the dry terrains of Nevada. It was still so surreal to be here. And maybe perhaps a little bit stupid. Rachel should be on the roads to Long Beach. And she knew it. But it was too late now. She bought her ticket. They were in Nevada, a few hours out from Las Vegas. It was just a detour until Rachel started her journey to Long Beach again.

Rachel grabbed her earbuds from her backpack and plugged them into her phone. She opened her music app and played some music. Back from the Dead by Skillet started playing.

Rachel nodded her head as the metal song started. She loved this song.

She wished she could just get up from her seat and thrash with the music and lose herself in the lyrics. She and Chloe used do that all the time back in Chloe's room or in the junkyard. It was one of their favorite things to do to pass the time.

Rachel closed her eyes and lost herself in the song.

About an hour and a half later, Rachel was finishing up a game on her phone when she finally saw Las Vegas on the horizon. She put her phone away and looked out the window. Wow... Rachel thought as she watched the city come closer into her view. When they entered the city, Rachel was in awe by the luxurious gambling city. It was the first time she's been there.

You'd think that by the time she and her family traveled to a place like Paris that at some point in time, they'd go to Las Vegas, but they never did. Perhaps if they did, Rachel could have seen Sam again. But nonetheless, here she was in the city that never stops gambling.

But of course there was more to Vegas then the money and gambling. There were many sights and attractions to see. Maybe once she was settled in, Sam could take her to see some of the entertainment shows and other attractions around the city.

Thinking of all the possibilities during her stay, Rachel's excitement started to build.

Maybe this wasn't a bad idea after all.

Finally, they were coming up on the bus station. The long ride was finally over. After sitting on her ass for what felt like forever, Rachel was ready get up and move around again.

They pulled up at the station and came to a stop. The passengers started to grab their luggage and bags when the long ride came to an end. Making sure to keep her head down and face hidden, Rachel grabbed her backpack and slid her arms through the straps. Once it was on her shoulders, Rachel walked behind a young couple as they made their way out of the bus.

The warm air hit Rachel as soon as she stepped off the bus.

Shit, it's hot out. Definitely won't be needing my jacket while I'm here.

Rachel could already feel the herself start to sweat. So when they got inside the station, Rachel decided to take it off. She found an empty seat and put her backpack on it and tried her best to stuff the jacket in.

Come on, damn you. Get in there.

Once getting her jacket in the backpack the best she could, be it not very good but she'll have to work with it, Rachel slung her backpack over her shoulders and exited the station. Due to the jacket, the backpack definitely had a little bit more weight and bulk to it which made it uncomfortable to carry.