Prologue

Dear Chloe.

I wish I could tell this to you in person. But I can't bring myself to do it. I don't want to see the pain in your eyes. But just know that you'll be okay. I know we've been drifting apart over the past few months and that's my fault. I've really missed you. The way you laugh. The way you smile. How you hold me. That way you've always looked at me. You made me feel special. And I hope someday, you can forgive me for being me.

I've found out that my dad has been keeping something big from me. Chloe, I have a birth mother. After doing some research, I've found out who she is. Sera Gearhardt. I can't believe it. Can you? At first, I couldn't either. I still find it unbelievable.

She's resided in California. At Long Beach. Home.

I'm leaving to go find her. Chloe, I'm leaving Arcadia Bay. Please, don't try to contact me. Because I know you're going to try to change my mind. But this is just something I have to do. And I have to do it alone. This is your home, Chloe. More your home then it was mine. You belong here.

You know, I always felt out of place in Arcadia Bay. Until I met you.

I'll miss you Chloe.

R.A.

Rachel currently sat inside the junk shack at the junkyard. She set her pen on the table in front of her and read over her letter with a sigh. Was this really something she wanted to do? Rachel was having second thoughts about this whole thing. Her eyebrows furrowed, Rachel sighed and crumpled up the letter and threw it. She leaned forward, pressing her face into her hands. 

This is crazy... Rachel thought to herself.

She knew that once she was gone, she would be all over the news. This wasn't going to be easy. She would have to stick to the shadows and lie low. Within a few weeks, the police would be roaming the whole country. Both North and South American borders would be notified. This was surely a one way trip. There was no going back.

Rachel looked at her backpack, packed with all of her things that she needed, sitting on the table in front of her. Rachel's hazel eyes locked their view on her backpack for just a few more moments before her phone started ringing in her pocket. She dug it out and saw her mother's number. She answered.

"Hello?"

"Rachel, your father is getting worried about you. He knows you're hurt. And he knows he should've told you sooner. But can you please come home?" Rose said. Rachel could hear the worry in her mother's voice. But at this point, there may be no going back.

"Please Rachel. Just come home." Rose said with a shaky voice. Rachel frowned. She didn't know what to say. Rachel looked at her backpack again. She knew what she had to do. When she finally made her choice, Rachel closed her eyes and took in a breath. She breathed out and said, "Goodbye, Mom."

Rachel immediately ended the call and put her phone away. She stood up and grabbed her backpack. She slung the straps around her shoulders. Rachel closed her eyes and sighed. "This is it." She said. "No going back now..." Rachel walked to the doorless entrance of the junk shack.

She stopped in the doorway, inhaling through her nose. She slowly breathed out through her mouth and stepped out, officially embarking her travel to California.

Leaving Arcadia Bay | A Rachel Amber Story