Chapter 21: Feathered Earring

The cops have found Rachel Amber.

Cops stood all around in front of the house. The helicopter hovered above, shining it's search light down at the front porch. The lights on the police cars flashed. There was no more running.

The detective walked out from the crowded street and made his way over to the entrance of the front fence.

"Rachel Amber?" He said.

Rachel nodded.

"My name is Jack Grey. Lead detective on this case." He told her. "We've been trying to track you down for a few weeks now. Look, this game of cat and mouse? It's over. You have no where to go. Now we can do this the easy way, or the hard way. Step away from that woman, come down from the porch, and you're coming with us." Rachel glared at him. "Don't make this anymore harder for yourself, kid." The detective said. And even before Rachel could get a word out, she saw two people running up to the house.

"Rachel!" Her mother, Rose Amber, called out.

"Mom...?" Rachel questioned.

"Rachel." Her father, James Amber, said as both he and his wife stood at the entrance of the fence next to the detective. Rachel's eyes narrowed as she glared daggers at her father.

"James." Sera muttered, staring hatefully at the man she once loved.

"My baby, what on earth are you doing?" Rose said, clutching her hands to her chest. "Why did you run all the way out here?" She said.

However, Rachel had questions of her own. "What are you guys doing here?" She said. "Rachel we were worried sick about you." James said. "Spare me another one of your lies, Dad." Rachel said. "Because that's all you ever do." She said. James shook his head, distressed look on his face. "Rachel, what the hell are you talking about?" He said.

"You know damn well what I'm talking about, Dad." Rachel told him. "You know!" She yelled.

"Dammit Rachel, there's no time for this! Look around you." James said back. He raised his arms, glancing around at all the officers. "Look at what you've caused!!!" He shouted angrily. "And now the whole world knows who you are!" He yelled. "The police got involved, the detective is involved." He said. "We've got the press standing outside our house in Arcadia Bay. And now the Johnson's are involved-" James ran his fingers through his hair.

"You met with Liam and Sharon?" Rachel questioned.

"Yes, and it was very awkward." Rose said to her. "Do you think that's how we ever wanted to meet with them again?" She said.

"It's over, Rachel!" James said. "Just come home with us." He added.

Rachel shook her head. "I won't." She told him.

"Rachel Dawn Amber, you step down from that porch right now!" James demanded.

"I know Dad! Okay, I know! But that doesn't change what you did." Rachel closed her eyes, looking down. "I can't come back." She looked back up at her father. "I won't come back." She said.

"Rachel, honey, it didn't have to come to any of this, sweetheart." Rose said. "Everyone here has been looking for you for weeks." She said. James shook his head. "Rachel, it's time to come home." He said.

"Rachel, I know why you're upset with me. I know why you ran all the way out here. But you have to understand, I only ever did what I had to do. To protect you. From her." James said, pointing at Sera.

Sera glared at James. "No, James. You weren't protecting her. You were protecting yourself." She said.

"Is that so? Who's the one who took care of our daughter while you were spaced off?" James said. "Or when you would come home at four thirty in the morning, all toked up?" He said. "Everyday, you discarded our- your daughter, for your own benefits Sera. You couldn't handle the pressure of being Rachel's mother. The most beautiful girl in the world was given to us, and you squandered all of it."