Chapter 7: Trying To Get Over It

I get out of my car and shut the door. I breathe out. "Cami!" I look to my left and see Jacob coming up to me.

"Oh, Jacob," I say monotone. "Hi." He looks at me confused.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

"No, but it's nothing."

"It's not nothing if it's got you all moody." I look at him.

"Don't say that word ever again."

"Okay.. But what happened?" I look across the parking lot.

"I found out.. That my whole relationship with Antonio was a lie.. He was paid to make me cheat on Luke.." Jacob breathes out and sways back and forth on his feet.

"Yeesh.. Who paid him?"

"James, el diablo." Jacob looked at me confused. "The devil," I clarify.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure everything will work out. Maybe you'll find someone new. Like that new guy, Caleb. He's pretty hot- I mean, he seems.. Good.." I look at him.

"I don't like Caleb like that.." I start to walk away.

"Wait! Uh.." I turn around to look at him. "I want to apologize for what happened on Friday. I realize now that I was a part of the problem with your ex."

"It's okay. At least, you know now." I then walk away to the entrance.

I walk into my first period and sit at the desk next to Ensley's. I put my head down.

"Cami, don't think about him. He isn't worth your time." I look up.

"Ensley, can't you see I'm hurt? ..I thought he actually loved me, like I loved him.. But it was all a lie." I then hear someone clear their throat. I turn around and see Caleb at the other side of the desk.

"Can I sit here?" He asks.

"Sure, I don't give a fuck." He sits down and looks at me.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

"It's none of your-"

"Look, I'm just trying to be nice. You don't have to be a-" I sit up.

"A what?? A what? Say it," I say. He breathes deeply.

"Alright.. I'm sorry.." He says. "I just wanted to see if I could at least lift your spirits."

"Who says that?" I ask.

"I do," he says. "Now, could I know what's wrong?" I look to the front of the classroom.

"Antonio and I broke up. That's all it is."

"Well, maybe you'll find someone else soon."

"Thanks," I say sarcastically. "I've totally never heard that one before." I grab my bookbag and get up to sit next to Ensley. I lean back in the chair and cross my arms. I then see Antonio come into the classroom. I put my hood up and look down.

I hear him talk to someone and then I hear his voice get closer. "Cami.."

"Dejame quieta, polla." I hear him sigh and walk away. Tears come out of my eyes and fall onto my hoodie as the grip on my hands shakes.

———

I stab my food with my fork as Ensley sits next to me. "Cami, at least eat.."

"I'm not hungry."

"You're worrying me.. I've never seen you like this before."

"Neither have I," a voice says. I look up and see Caleb sitting across from us.