Chapter 17: "Mi Loquita"

It's Monday morning of that weekend and after I get ready, I head downstairs to the kitchen. My parents are there, my mom cooking and my dad sitting at the table drinking coffee. Val was sitting across from my dad eating breakfast while our parents talked. They then looked at me as I walked in.

"Buenos días," my mom says.

"Buenos días," I reply.

"Cami, your mother and I were wondering if you wanted to start looking for a part time job," my dad says.

"You were wondering," my mom says. "It was all your idea."

"Uh, I dunno," I say.

"She's lazy," Val says. "No way would she want to get a job. And besides, she uses all her free time to be with Seba."

"That's not a bad thing, Val," my mom says. "I blew off work to hang out with your father."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Val says.

"And also," my mom adds, "I don't wanna hear you call her lazy. You're the one jobless sitting at my kitchen table." I burst out laughing and my dad chuckles.

"Ma!" Val says.

"Truth hurts, mija," my mom says. The doorbell then rang and I went out the kitchen to go answer the door. I looked through the hole and saw Seba. I unlocked and opened the door.

"Hey, Seba," I said.

"Hola, mi loquita." He messes up my hair as he walks in. I'm his loquita.

"What did I tell you about messing up my hair?" I fix it and shut the door.

"To do it cause you like it." I raise my eyebrow at him. "Don't do it.."

"Thank you," I say.

"You know, I'm still gonna do it anyways, right?"

"I know. I like to try." He chuckles and we head to the kitchen.

"Hola, Seba," my mom says.

"Hola, Sofia. Martín. Val," Seba says.

"Wassup, Seba?" Val says. We all look at her strangely.

"What was that?" I ask.

"Me, what else?" Val says. "Ma, can I get a burger?"

"You just ate!" My mom says.

"Yeah, but the baby wants more." I look at Val.

"Val, Seba doesn't-" I start.

"-Know she's pregnant?" Seba says. "I was here when that happened. The floors are thin, you know."

"True," I say. The doorbell then rang again. Confused, I went to answer it. This time I didn't look through the hole. I opened the door. I stammered, "Romeo?"

"Oh, Cami," he says. "Sorry, I have the wrong-"

"Are you here for Valentina?" He looks at me.

"How'd you-"

"She's my sister."

"..Ah.. Now that I think about it, you guys do look similar.."

"Just come in."

"Okay." He walks inside and I shut the door.

"Val! It's for you!" I lead him to the kitchen and I see Val smiling widely at him.

"Hey, Romeo," she says. "These are my parents." She gestures to our parents.

"I'm Sofia," my mom says. "Nice to meet you."