Chapter 8: New Interest

"I always found them fascinating," he says. "The way they could look like so many things, but be what they are at the same time." We were sitting in the grass cloud gazing.

"Look, that one looks like an ice cream cone." I point to one of the clouds.

"It does!" We chuckle and I look at him.

It's been two weeks since I first started getting close to Caleb, and I've started to catch feelings for him. I can literally talk to him about anything and he'll know exactly what to say. He's one of the greatest people I've met, and I want something to happen with him, but I feel like it's too soon.

"Hey, you alright?" He asks. I then realize I've been staring at him this entire time. I blush.

"Yeah, I'm fine.." I give him a sweet smile, then look back up at the clouds. He breathes deeply and I feel my heart race.

"Do you think clouds would be soft?" He asks.

"Probably. They look so fluffy." I then feel his hand hover over mine. I look over at him as he continues to look up at the sky.

It's obvious he's liked me ever since we started getting close. I just tried to deny my feelings since it was way too soon for us to become anything other than friends. Still, now that I'm not in denial, I don't want anything else to happen. I look back at the sky and move my hand onto my stomach.

I hear him clear his throat and I sigh.

———

What's wrong with me? I haven't been able to get Caleb off my mind since we were at the park today.

It's the middle of the night, and I should be asleep, but I just can't sleep. I keep overthinking about things with Caleb.

I regret moving my hand away when he was reaching for it. I wanted it to happen, but I chose not to let it happen. Why did I do that? If I wanted it, why did I pull my hand away?

Maybe I do want something to happen. Maybe I'm still in denial. I mean, I'm not in denial about my feelings, but maybe I'm in denial about what I want Caleb and I to be. Maybe I do want to be more than friends, but I'm just not ready. It's not like I still love Antonio. I'm completely over that, but maybe I'm not ready to start anything new yet.

I turn to my window and look at the stars in the distance. We stargazed last weekend and I just loved laying next to him.

I feel relaxed around him. It excites me to hang out with him, but only because of his calming aura.

He cares a lot about people, and it's admirable. Like when he helped me realize that I needed to talk about my breakup and not avoid it.

But do I want to date him is the question.. Whatever, let me try to sleep.

———

"Jeez, you look awful," Ensley says as I sit down. I had dark circles.

"I couldn't sleep last night. I was overthinking about.. Stuff.." She raises an eyebrow.

"What stuff?" She asks.

"It's nothing.."

"Then, why even bring it up?" She says.

"I was just explaining why I have dark circles. And you don't talk to me about stuff either." She giggles.

"I know what this is about."

"Really?" I ask in a way that it sounds like I don't believe her. "Then, what is it about?"