Chapter 24: Thomas, The One

It's June, finally. I'm out of school. Life is good and I'm having the best time with everyone I know. The crew, Antonio, Monica, Romeo, Val, and her baby, my niece, Ramona. We're all at the park having a picnic, talking and making jokes. I was holding Ramona, since everyone else was having conversations and being lovey dovey with their partner.

"And then she dropped the ice cream on my head!" Antonio says. He was describing a time that Monica had seen him in the park while she was getting ice cream, and when she went up to him from behind, she tripped and her ice cream fell on his head. Everyone started laughing and I smiled as I hushed them all.

"The baby's sleeping!" I whisper yelled.

"In my defense," Monica starts, "I didn't see the rock in my path." Antonio holds her hand and smiles at her.

"It's okay, my love," he says. "I know you didn't mean it."

"What if she did?" Jacob said. "It could've been her way of fixing your face." Everyone laughed quietly as Antonio looked at Jacob.

"Puh-lease," Antonio said. "I'm already handsome. My face doesn't need fixing."

"Sure," Jacob says.

"Jacob, I don't wanna hear it," I say as I rock Ramona back and forth in my arms. "I could expose you right here, right now." He looks at me.

"Oh, really?" He says in disbelief. "And what do you have to 'expose' me?" I leaned into his ear and whispered, since we were sitting right next to each other. I reminded him about the time he almost called Antonio cute when he was talking to me. He gasped. "NO, NO, NO. Do NOT say that." I chuckle.

"What'd she say?" James asked.

"Nothing, babe," Jacob says.

"Something he doesn't want anyone to know," I laugh.

"You guys are hilarious!" Val says. "And thank you, Cam. I really needed a break from Ramona."

"It's no problem," I say. I look down at Ramona. "She's so cute, I wanna squeeze her!" I then smelled something horrid. I looked up at Val. "Se cago.." Val sighs and laughs as I hand Ramona to her.

"I know what that means," Ensley says, proud of herself. The Hispanics between us (aka me, Val, Romeo, Antonio, & Monica) all looked at each other, then at her.

"Oh, really?" Romeo said. Ensley nods proudly. "And what does it mean?"

"It means she's having a cow," she says proudly. We all burst out laughing as she looked at us. "What??"

"Girl, you are way off," I say.

"What does it mean?" Mason asks.

"It means she shit herself," Antonio says, then Monica slaps his mouth immediately after. "Ow!"

"Don't say that around the baby!" She says.

"It's okay, Monica," Val says as she starts to change Ramona's diaper. She points to Romeo with her thumb. "This one curses around her all the time."

"That's why we're brothers," Romeo says. Then, he and Antonio dap each other up.

They continued on with their conversations as I sat there, staring off into space. What was I thinking about? Thomas and how I haven't seen him in a while.

The last time I saw him was a month ago, and it wasn't for a long time. We bumped into each other at the grocery store, but then we had to say goodbye cause I had plans.

I miss him, I really do. Especially now that I can finally date him. After all, we did plan to be together after the school year was over. And guess what? It's over.