Chapter 21: A Chance

It's the Friday after the situation with Rhys happened. I'm still kind of upset, but I'll get over it. I was at my locker when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked over and saw Alex standing next to me. "Oh, hey, Alex.."

"Hey," he says. He then looks around. "Where's that guy you were with?"

"I dunno. I'm not talking to him anymore." His eyes lightened up.

"Really??" He says excitedly before clearing his throat. "I mean, what happened?"

"He was using me.."

"Oh, that sucks.." I nod and look back at my locker. "Are you, uh.." I look back at him. "Are you doing anything tomorrow?" I think for a moment.

"Not that I can think of, why?"

"Well, I was wondering.. Maybe you'd like to hang out with me?" I sigh.

"..I dunno, I'm still recovering from the other guy.."

"Well, I could give you my number and you can think about it?"

"..Sure.." I give him my phone and he puts his number in it. I then text him to make sure it's right.

"Okay, I got the message. See you tomorrow maybe." He walks away and I look into my locker again. What should I do?

———

I'm laying in my bed staring at the ceiling, thinking about my decision.

Should I say 'yes'? I mean, I barely know the guy. The only thing I know is he's a police officer-in-training.

I hear my door creak open, but I don't bother to look over at who it is.

"Are you still thinking about that dick?" I hear her say.

"No, Val.." I sit up and she sits down next to me on the bed. "..Alex invited me to hang out tomorrow.."

"And what'd you say?"

"I said I wasn't sure.. I have to make a decision tonight.."

"Well, do you want to hang out with him? I mean, don't you usually hang out with the crew on the weekends?"

"Yeah, but they all have different plans tomorrow."

"Well, maybe you can give Alex a chance.. You did tell me he was into you ever since he met you.. Hang out with him tomorrow, and see if he might be your next boyfriend." She yawns. "I'm gonna go to bed. Good night."

"Night." She gets up and leaves the room, shutting the door behind her. I then lay back again and breath out, stressed.

Val's right. I should give Alex a chance. What's the worst that could happen?

I grab my phone and go to my messages with Alex.

~~~
Alex

alex i would
love to hang
out with you
tomorrow

great

i'll pick you
up tomorrow
at 11 then

okay

~~~

Guessing he really just wants to hang out. God, what did I get myself into?

———

I'm wearing a casual outfit. A gray tee with jeans. Very simple. Nothing to make him all googly eyed. I'm sitting on my porch swing waiting for Alex.