Chapter 10: The Playing Field

I just arrived at school and I see Jacob getting out of his car. "Hey, Jacob." He waves and then walks over.

"Hey, I've been meaning to talk to you."

"About what?" He looks around then looks back at me.

"James has been.. flirting with me over the weekend." My jaw drops.

"WHAT??" I say.

"Shhh!! Keep it down! I don't want anyone to hear."

"Sorry, sorry. But James?? Are we thinking of the same James here?"

"Yes, James. 'The devil,' as you said."

"But why is he.." I smirk. "Did you flirt back?" He then blushes.

"N-No.. I was too nervous to!" I sigh and then chuckle.

"Well, I can't wait to see this story unfold." I put my arm over his shoulder, and realized I didn't have to stand on my toes. "Jeez, I didn't notice how short you were." He frowns.

"I'm not that short."

"But you're barely taller than me."

"Whatever. Let's just go to class." I laugh and we start walking to the entrance.

When we get inside, we part ways and I walk down the hallway to my locker. I then see Luke talking to some girl by his locker. It wasn't Ashley, so I was confused, but I didn't say anything.

After I finished up at my locker, I went to class and sat down at the desk next to Ensley's. "Hey, Cam," she says.

"Hey. I saw the weirdest thing while I was walking here."

"What'd you see?"

"Luke talking to some random girl." She looks at me confused.

"How is that weird?"

"He's dating Ashley." Her jaw drops.

"HE IS??"

"Chill out, first off, and yes, I found out on Saturday."

"But that's.. wild!"

"Mhm." I then hear yelling coming from outside the classroom. Ens and I stand up and walk over to the door. We stand at the doorway as we watch Ashley and her friends beat up Luke and the girl that he was talking to.

"He had it coming," I say.

"Damn straight," Ensley says. Soon, teachers come and take them away and Ensley and I go back to our desks.

———

The next morning, I step out my front door as I get a text. I look at my phone and see it's from Caleb.

~~~
Caleb🥰

hey do you
want me to
pick you up
this morning

can you?

yeah

yeah sure you
can pick me up

alright I'll be
there in 5

okay

~~~

I sit down at my porch steps and wait for him to arrive. I then hear a motorcycle down the street and stand up. I see Caleb park on the side of the road and I start walking over.