2-3:Krr'il te Nawma Yengwalti

I could hear their machines from over the valley walls. Tana'rì looked around anxiously and gripped onto my arm to get my attention.

"We're going to be okay, I promise I will keep you safe." I pulled her close.

I could smell them now, see them. I can't release Grace and Jake or they'll come for me too. I can't join them or Tsu'tey will have my ass. I heard the pa'lis panicking and their riders trying to steady themselves, stifled cries of the proud warriors. But over it all, was the aggravating thrum of the helicopter's rotor slicing the air.

I felt a tension rise in me. It's just like I described before. As I twist my head about to glimpse at the people around me, I see their panicked faces staring back at me. Tsu'tey almost rushed past me, but I caught his arm.

"We have to leave! We won't be safe in here!" I shout over the sound of the machines.

"You will be fine, I promise. I have to go!" He follows the warriors up into the tree despite my warning.

The whistle of a smoking thing enters through the roots of the tree. I see the canister not too far away, and there's more. It bursts open and I cover Tana'rì's face. I choke and cough, my eyes burn. I keep tearing up. I hear Tana'rì's small cough through the fabric of the blanket I had snagged from beside us, abandoned by whoever had used it before.

"Leave Hometree, get far away!" I shouted out. I pick up Tana'rì and pull with me, anyone I can. Coughing as we run, I realized I abandoned my bow. I can't help the fight. Why am I useless whenever I am needed?

A roar of a flaming missile strikes too close. I feel the flames lick at my feet as I run. I try to cover Tana'rì's ears, the screams and cries of the scared and dying weren't meant for her. I glance back at the tree, towering, covering us in shadow, but flaming still. The flames rose higher and higher. Tsu'tey.

I saw our warriors retreating and I took initiative.

"Far into the forest! Go! Stay away from Hometree, go as far as you can! Away!" I tried directing them into a safe direction. Away from the waterhole, deep into hunting territory.

I saw the gunships back up, circling around to fire at the roots of the tree to cut it down.

I ran towards groups, giving them directions as they ran. They have to avoid that side of the tree, or they'll be crushed.

I ran back towards the tree to help stragglers. Mo'at had freed Grace and Jake.

"Jesus Ess, that's a child, he's gonna blow the columns and you bring her here!?"

"I have to help who I can, take her."

"No, we'll take care of that. You take her, you take Mo'at and you run. We're behind you." Grace said.

I nodded with a frown.

"Tsahik, we have to go."

"Sanuì, the people-"

"They have Jake and Grace's help, we need to survive for the sake of the clan. They are lost without you."

She began to reject the idea, but seeing Tana'rì in my arms, she nodded.

The missiles screamed as they came down upon the tree, the shockwave of the explosion threw me onto my back. I hopped over the log, Mo'at followed shortly with Jake and Grace. I kept running, I don't want Tana'rì anywhere near this. Each explosion sent me down to my knees, pushing me forward and into the ground. But I was good shelter for Tana'rì.

A much larger explosion ripped the air apart and tore the air from my lungs. The pressure in my ears made them pop, and I was thrown further away onto my back instead. The explosions stopped and a silence stifled the screams of the dying and hurt. I gazed up in horror as the shaken leaves descended on us, coating me in a layer of green on top of my purple and black bruises.

The roots rumbled as it tore and groaned. It was falling.

"Go! Go go!" I heard Jake command and urge the shocked people. I was in disbelief and shock. Stuck in my head, when I saw Tana'rì peak her head out and look up at the falling tree.

"We have to go!" I tucked her back into the blanket, picked her up and started running with burning, strained legs. I heard the cries from the Ikrans above. I called mine. Tìve'ki.

She swooped down and hovered over me.

"Keep Tana'rì safe, you hear me? You take her somewhere safe until it is safe to come back to me." I command her. She grabs the bundled blanket in her maw like she would do if she had hatchlings. She flew off with my Tana'rì.

I keep running until the tree branches slammed into the ground I front of me, shaking the earth and throwing me back. I turn away and keep running until the shockwaves force my legs to give out and I collapse.

Something had me pinned down. It was a part of a branch. A big log. I can't quite move. Nothing is broken, it doesn't feel good though.

I roll it over and I look around.

This can't be happening. This isn't real. None of this happened I'm having a dream.

I tried to deny it over and over in my head. I sank to my knees and clung to the ground. Digging my hands into it. How could this happen?

I couldn't cry.

I just called Tìve'ki back. She swooped down with Tana'rì in tow and handed her back to me. A whimpering sound comes from her. She looks to the sky and calls to an Ikran. Signaling for him to join us.

"Tsam'uk! Where are we-" I hear a frustrated Tsu'tey get cut off as he lands.

He suddenly has no words, and I can't find any either. Something stings my eyes, and I know it's sorrow.

"Come." He pressed his hand to my face to wipe away a fallen tear, "we will find Tana'rì's father."

I nod unsurely. I wrap the blanket around Tana'rì securely and comfortingly. Whatever she may see, I want to protect her from it.

Tsu'tey guides us as we look at the living, the dead, anyone. We searched for a while before I was pulled away from my body and into a dark pit.