26.

"may i ask what is the problem?" mike leaned against the kitchen island as el focused on the cookie batter in front of her.

he was trying so hard to argue back with her when she was wearing a cute tiny tight apron and a chefs hat.

"you paying for everything is the problem. thousands of dollars, mr wheeler! thousands! hospital bills and lessons— do you know how much those lessons cost?" she asked.

"no," he answered. "i thought it'd cost more when you were so upset." he snorted.

she narrowed her eyes. "this is not the time to show off."

"sorry," he shrugged and apologised shamelessly.

"el, i really don't get it. i'm just helping—"

"shut up."

his eyes widened and he stared at her in shock. "excuse me?" he was failing to hide his amusement.

he loved her attitude so much. especially when she was mad.

she gulped. "please excuse me for all the insults i am about to accidentally throw at you because i am mad."

he snickered.

"but since you're starting to like me enough, i won't waste this chance to tell you to shut up and think with that large brain of yours. i am your assistant, the person you pay thousands of dollars a month to work. it's stupid for you to throw more money at things i should pay for myself." she told him then placed all the cookies in the oven.

"are you done? can i speak?" he asked.

"no." she answered and shut the oven door. "i know you're rich, but i don't like it when i know i owe you so much."

"you don't owe me anything though," his eyebrows furrowed but she shook her head and placed her hands on her hips. "if it was a lunch, sure. buy me fucking lunch—"

"i do buy you lunch."

"shut up and listen." she gritted through her teeth. "but three hospital visits!? and a year of lessons!?"

"you didn't have insurance." he said, "i wanted to help you."

"but why!? you're a nice grumpy asshole, why would you just decide to go help me on stuff like this—"

"because i like you."

"excuse me?" she blinked in shock.

"i said, i like you," he removed himself from the side of the island and walked closer to her.

her breathing heaved. "you mean— you mean like an assistant?" she breathed out.

"no," he mumbled, "i mean; i like you. as a person. as el."

"no you don't." she gulped.

"yes i do," he grinned and nodded as she looked down to see how close they were and how his button up was unbuttoned for her to see his chest.

no, el. don't look, he's your boss.

"stop thinking and say something."

"i'm your assistant, this can't—"

"you know that's bullshit." he leaned down to her ear, "you can pull away and say i got the wrong signal or something but i know i fucking didn't. you like me too, asshole or not." he whispered into her ear then kissed the spot right behind her ear which made her let out a little whine.

"see, you like me,"

"i can file a sexual harassment thingy against you right now for kissing me."

"you call that a kiss, honey?" he pulled back with a smirk, "baby, once i kiss you for real, i promise you will be begging for more," his finger trailed up her arm as she looked away.