5

A LAUGH ESCAPES my lips as I catch another grape in my mouth and chew it up before swallowing and reopening my mouth

A LAUGH ESCAPES my lips as I catch another grape in my mouth and chew it up before swallowing and reopening my mouth. "I told you, Momma D. It's a natural talent." I joke, a smile on my face. I was visiting my mother, but I didn't have much time left. I had a basketball game soon and had to be there for warmups in ten minutes.

"Oh, sweetie. You are a natural talent. Now, about that boy.." She teases, referring to how just a couple minutes prior I was talking to her about Ricky. Can't I talk about a boy without people thinking I am drastically in love with him? It's the exact opposite. I'm trying to save him from killing himself. I can't tell people that, obviously.

"Please, you sound just like Gina." I smile, "We're not even friends. Like I said before, he's not very nice. His manners aren't the greatest, but it doesn't bother me too much. I really want to be his friend for some reason, so I'm going to persevere!"

She reaches out and rests her hand on my cheek. "That's what I love most about you, honey. You never give up, no matter the obstacle. You have a heart of pure gold, my dear."

"I'm back! I forgot how filthy the bathrooms here can get." The voice of my other mother, Carol grouses as she enters the room. "Nini honey, we need to go."

I look over at Momma C and sigh before looking back at Momma D. "I have to go. If I'm late, I'll never hear the end of it from Coach Jenn."

Momma D smiles, "Go crush em', honey."

I blow her a kiss before getting up from my chair and leaving her room with Momma C. We take the elevator back down to the first floor and exit the hospital as I enter the passenger seat of the car. I take off the shoes I was wearing and replace them with my basketball shoes as my mom begins to drive towards the school.

"So, I'm just going to drop you off then go drive around for a bit while you guys are doing warmups. They usually take like, twenty minutes anyways." My mom tells me without taking her eyes off the road.

"That's fine. Just make sure you're back in time for the game." I remind. My mom looks over at me and gives me this look of astonishment.

"Honey, I wouldn't miss one of your games for the world." She replies. I smile and take out my phone, beginning to text Gina and ask her if she's there yet. Once I send the text, I turn my phone off and look out the window. I love basketball, but sometimes I wish the games were on different days. I only have enough hours in the day, and with school and homework and basketball I barely have time to spend with Momma D. 24 hours is far too short.

Eventually we arrive at the school. I say goodbye to my mom and exit the car before opening the door to the back row of the car and grabbing out my basketball bag. Once I have everything I need, she drives off and I walk inside the school. It was at East High, which was nice because I knew what to do and where to go. When we do away games, I never know where to go which gets incredibly annoying.