37

THE SERVICE ENDED shortly after that

THE SERVICE ENDED shortly after that. Jack's dad had handed out white roses to everyone for everyone to place on the casket before it was buried into the ground. It was still heavily raining by the time the funeral was over, so everyone was rushing to their cars.

"Ready to go?" My mom asks, rubbing her hand up and down my arm. I know she noticed me crying in Ricky's arms for the rest of the service, but I'm glad she decided not to say anything.

Apparently I jinxed it, because immediately after I was being grateful for her not saying anything she looks over at Ricky. "You're Ricky, right?" She starts, causing me to press my lips together out of awkwardness.

Ricky nods his head, "Ricky Bowen. It's great to meet you, Mrs. Salazar-Roberts." He holds his hand out and my mom shakes it, still looking at him with a trace of confusion and doubt.

"Bowen?" She repeats, looking over at me before back at him. "Is there any chance you're Lynne's kid?" I literally have to hold my jaw from dropping to the floor.

I see Ricky gulp, "Yes, ma'am. That'd be me." How on earth does my mom know his mom? I could tell by Ricky's expression that he was just as confused as I was.

"No way! I went to high school with her!" My mom continues, a small smile tugging at her lips. "We go way back! Is there any chance she'd want to meet up for coffee sometime to catch up?"

Ricky's eyes immediately flick over to mine for a split second before back at my mom. I see him inhale a deep breath before his free hand start to fiddle with his tie. It's very easy to tell when Ricky's nervous, his body language is very easy to read.

He has two options here. One, act like his mom is alive, or two, tell my mom she's dead. Both options must be difficult for him.

"Actually ma'am," He looks down at his shoes, "She passed away a couple years ago." He informs, causing my mom to gasp.

I smile a bit, suddenly feeling very proud of him. I know that was a hard thing to say. I hope he knows how proud of him I am.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie." My mom's face that was previously confused, quickly ices over and is now pure sadness and empathy. "I had no idea. I shouldn't have brought it up." She apologizes. I could tell she felt for Ricky.

"It's okay." Ricky softly smiles, "It's cool that you were friends with her. I'm sure she would've loved to catch up with you."

"If you ever need anything, you can always come to me, okay?" My mom offers. Ricky's eyes once again meet mine for a split second, before back at my mom. Well, if she didn't like Ricky before, she definitely does now.

"That's very kind of you, Mrs. Salazar-Roberts. I know you guys were about to head home, but if you didn't mind, could I talk to your daughter for a little bit?" Ricky requests.

My mom nods her head, "Of course. I'll wait for you in the car, Nini. I'm sorry again, Ricky." Is the last thing she says before she leaves us, walking out of the cemetery.