22

I FINISH SWEEPING up some glass on the floor that had been broken the night before

I FINISH SWEEPING up some glass on the floor that had been broken the night before. Since Gina and Ej would be here soon, I offered to help Ricky pick up his house. Things were kinda tense after our slight argument earlier, and I have a feeling he was sad about the fact that I told him I didn't trust him fully.

He obviously didn't trust me either, though. If he did trust me, he wouldn't lie to me. He admitted that he lied to me. I just want him to tell me how the pills that I took help him

"So uh," I start, looking over at him as he was picking up a side table that had been knocked over. "Are we good?"

He doesn't raise his head to look at me, "Yeah. We're good." He replies, but for some reason it just felt as if he was bluffing.

I stand up fully, my hands stacked on top of the broom. I press my lips together, feeling the awkwardness. "Are you sure?"

He finally looks up at me after he picks up the table. It was a shock to me how easily he was able to pick that table up like it was effortless. "Yeah, Nini. We're fine."

I nod once, continuing to sweep up the glass shards. Once I swept them all into the dustpan, I lean down and carry the dustpan into the kitchen before dumping the shards into the garbage.

I walk back into the living room where Ricky was, "I think we're almost done." I examine the house, looking to see what else we had to pick up.

Ricky exhales and comes to stand next to mee, looking around the house as well. "We did a good job. I hope my dad is pleased."

"Yeah, and your mom. I wonder how she felt having her house wrecked." I sympathize, walking by the front door to wait for Gina and Ej.

"Hey, can you go get me a water from the fridge? I'm thirsty after all that cleaning." Ricky requests. I don't blame him, we've been cleaning for almost two hours.

I nod my head, walking into the kitchen and in the fridge. I open it up and grab a water bottle from it, closing the fridge. Right when I was about to walk away, I see a glimpse of a picture that makes me stop in my tracks and turn back.

There was a photograph on the fridge being held up by a magnet that made me squint my eyes to see if I was seeing things. I look closer at the photograph, noticing it was a picture of his mom standing next to a blonde girl who looked to be around the same age. They had their arms around each other and looked close, but my eyes were focused on the blonde standing next to his mom.

She looked so familiar. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I know I've seen her somewhere.

"Hey, Ricky!" I shout, "Come here for a sec!"

A moment later, Ricky walks into the kitchen. "What?"

I point at the blonde girl in the picture, "That lady. Who is she?" I wonder, feeling so confused as to why I feel so strongly that I've seen her before.