XLIII: 𝔘𝔩𝔶𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔰

January 10, 2009.

The start of a new chapter. The beginning of the end.

Following the circumstances that led to a blond boy's companionship with your best friend, you were made to believe that she was busy studying at home, though that was just an excuse; Maho was entertaining a particular guest at her house late at night. For you to know their connection would impart a risk that the 'blond boy' could not afford.

"Why is it necessary to meet behind Y/N's back again?" Maho questioned with a dubious look. No matter how many times he had explained it to her out of caution, she could still not comprehend why it was imperative to hide secrets from you.

"Because she might be in danger," he said in a somewhat annoyed tone. "Haven't we been through this already?"

"I don't like keeping things from her," Maho mumbled as she frowned.

"It's for her sake."

She argued more, "Why is it that she can't know but I can? It's okay for me to get involved but not her?"

"Because you have no connections with Toman, to begin with. Kisaki doesn't know you so you have nothing to be afraid of," he said in a gentle tone. "We'll only catch problems if anyone else but us knew of our relationship."

Maho's eyes widened; her cheeks turned pink all of a sudden. "R-relationship?"

He raised his eyebrows in confusion. "Yeah, we know and help each other. What do you call it again?"

"Uhh, call what?"

"Partners in crime!" He cheered out loud. "We're like partners in crime!"

Maho thought for a second. "I guess you could say that."

"Maho," he suddenly called after a while.

The girl looked up from the book she was currently reading entitled Ulysses. It was about a mythological hero, Odysseus, from Homer's epic poem. The concept of the story was particularly popular in pop culture, as it held a rather controversial topic with dramatic irony and absurd adventures.

"Chifuyu?" She replied.

The blond-haired boy looked up at her with a deep gaze. Depths and depths of moss that grew in misty forests and perfectly textured mountains could be traced from his green irises. He chuckled and lowered his head so that the grin plastered on his soft lips could not be visible to Maho. "Nothing," he moved his head side to side in a slow manner. "I just wanted to hear you say my name."

"The fuck?" Maho laughed.

"It's been a while," Chifuyu said with sodden solemnity.

"It has," Maho mumbled as she fiddled with her fingers sheepishly.

The two of them couldn't meet out in the open for fear of being recognized by one of Kisaki's men. Chifuyu initiated the precaution of hiding behind everyone's backs for them to be able to keep their safety in check. If anyone else knew about the secrecy of their partnership, it would result in Chifuyu's exile from being part of the Tokyo Manji gang while Maho would be put in danger for cooperating with a gang's traitor. The risks created more dire possible consequences; one of which would be the inability of Chifuyu to avenge Baji's death, and Maho's incapability to help your cause. They both had something in common; something they couldn't help but appreciate each other for mutual understanding; it was their loyalty to the friendships they made. They were far too passionate about their devotions with the connections they made with people they loved. One could say that they were the most tragic of them all. Lovers who could only tolerate their feelings for their beloveds.