I, Ava

"We are not walking out on the team, Ray," Sara sighed.

"She says, as she's literally walking away," Nate huffed.

"Sara, we appreciate that you may need a break after what happened with the Death Totem, but this is the absolute worst time for you to leave," Amaya said, as we all walked behind Nyssa and Sara.

"We need you here now more than ever," Nate added, trying to stop her.

"Yeah, we've almost won the totem race," Ray chimed in.

"Look, we are so close to gaining control over 'the six' and getting the upper hand on Mallus. I just... I need a day to clear my head away from the chaos, the team, and just be with Nyssa for a bit. Plus, Nyssa will make sure to bring me back. Right, Nyss?" Sara circled her arm around Nyssa.

"Indeed, I swear in the name of Ra's al Ghul I shall ensure my beloved and I's return," Nyssa nodded.

"Yeah, but who's gonna stop Mick from burning down the ship with the Fire Totem?" Ray whined.

"Someone's gonna have to fill in the role of captain while we're gone," Sara said.

"Oh, well, uh, I hadn't exactly thought I'd... I'd pick up the mantle this soon, but..." Ray started before Sara cut him off, "I'm putting Amaya in charge."

Ray gasped in disbelief, while Amaya looked pleased, maybe even smug.

"Good luck," Sara said before turning and continuing to walk to the Jumpship with Nyssa. I whimpered and rubbed against her leg.

"I won't be long, Tam tam. Keep the team out of trouble for me, would you?" Sara smiled.

"See you soon, little one," Nyssa said, patting my head.

I walked to the bridge with my head hung low, deciding to sulk in my bed for the next few hours.

__________

"Hey, Tam-Tam, wanna come with us to Detroit? It'll be fun~" Nate crouched in front of me. I lifted my head from the bed, tilting it in confusion.

Meow Why?

"Oh, you know, recreation, the food, and talking to Amaya's granddaughter," Nate said with a grin. I shook my head.

When has this ever ended well?

.

.

.

I stayed in Nate's shadow as we entered the hospital, quietly observing as we sat down with Mari's father.

"Thanks for taking the time to talk with us, Mr. McCabe," Wally said.

"Mari's resting. I'll have someone come grab you when she wakes up," a nurse informed us before leaving.

"We're from The Detroit Chronicle, and we'd like to do a story about your foster daughter's heroism," Nate explained.

"To tell you the truth, I wish she was less interested in saving everyone else's lives and more compelled to protect her own," Mr. McCabe responded, a hint of sadness in his voice.

"Mari's a brave woman. But maybe you should remind her that there are police and firefighters too. And that the safety of Detroit isn't, you know, her responsibility," Nate suggested.

"You don't have to tell me that. Sometimes I feel like my daughter, she's walking around with a target on her back," Mr. McCabe huffed.

Nate nodded, looking up for a brief moment, spotting Kuasa not far from where we were. "Excuse me for a second," Nate said, excusing himself and following after Kuasa. We watched as she turned a corner, but when we turned the same corner, she was gone.