Chapter 22

"No!" Ziva screams, as she rushes over to Paku. She puts her hand on his forehead, hoping for some sort of miracle. "Oh no..."

"Paku!" Ziva cries, as she holds his face in her hands. She feels his breath, and hears his heartbeat.

"Can't you do something?" Patch yells, eyes getting teary.

"I wish I knew, but I don't!" the jarl says.

"What happened?" One of the rangers asks.

"He was shot with a poisoned arrow," Ziva replies.

"Poisoned?" The ranger says, shocked. "That's not possible!"

"Of course it is," the jarl replies. "This is the Horde after all."

"Stand back." Ellis says, crouching down to the injured Paku. "There might be a way."

Ziva looks at Ellis. "Please, save him." she cries.

"I will try my best." Ellis replies, as he stands up and draws his sword. "I'm going to cut off the arrow. If it's still poisonous, then we have to hope it's washed away enough."

"Is that even possible?" Ziva asks, as she watches Ellis slice through the arrow.

"I will try to flush it out. It's worth a chance." Ellis says, as he digs the arrow out of Paku's body. "Here goes." Ellis then sucks out the venom, spitting it onto the grass. "There! That should do it."

"Thank you." Ziva says, as she holds her breath.

"I think he'll live." Ellis says, as he lays his hands on Paku. "Keep your fingers crossed."

Ziva nods, as she keeps her eyes closed. "Please Paku... pull through."

Ellis and the other rangers celebrate their victory over the horde, and begin to retake the town of Peatsville back. However, Patch and Ziva remain by Paku's side, as they both hope for him to recover.

After several hours pass, Ziva finally opens her eyes. "How is he?"

"Still unconscious, but he's alive. " Patch says, standing up. "We need to get him to a healer."

"I know. I just want to stay with him." Ziva responds, holding the unconscious Paku's paw with her own.

"You really like him, don't you?" Patch asks.

"More than anything." Ziva replies, tears running down her face. "If only I could have saved him somehow."

"It wasn't your fault." Patch says, as he sits beside Ziva. "We were both there. You tried your best."

"But I failed to protect him. I won't make that mistake again." Ziva says.

"Neither will I." Patch responds as Paku begins to stir.

"Paku?" Ziva asks, as she touches his paw.

"Hey, you." Paku says, slowly opening his eyes.

"Are you okay?" Ziva asks, as she takes a deep breath. "You were poisoned, and now you're awake."

"Yeah, I'm fine." Paku says groaning a bit as the wound was still sore.

Ziva hugs Paku. "I thought you were a goner."

"So did I." Paku says, hugging her back.

"Do you remember what happened?" Ziva asks.

"A goblin shot me with an arrow, and I got poisoned. Then I passed out." Paku answers. "I'm glad you weren't hurt."

Ellis returns, looking at the dragons. "The battle is won. Despite the other kingdom failing to aid us, we have won. Thanks to you Paku."

"And Patch too, don't forget Patch!" Patch smirks.

"Stop it." Ziva scolds. "Anyway, how are you feeling?"

"Better, thanks to you." Paku says.

"Now let's get you to a healer." Ellis says, as he picks up Paku's sore body. The ranger carries Paku to the longhouse where some healers are, as Ziva and Patch remain by Paku's side.

"I will check on you tomorrow. I am going to help the town repair any damages and clean up some of the battle carnage." Ellis explains as he leaves the room.

"Thank you." Ziva says. "I'm sure Paku will be fine."

"Don't worry about it. He's tough." Patch says. "Besides, I have a feeling he'll be back to normal in no time."