Chapter 34

As night approaches, Ziva and Paku return to their sleeping quarters, tired from a day of training. They see Bithor in there teaching Patch how to fight with his claws better.

"Strike full motion, so you can hit the largest area." Bithor tells Patch, the young puma doing as told and managing to inflict a bit more damage than if he performed it normally.

When they see Ziva and Paku walk in, Bithor greets them. "How was your first day of training under the masters?"

Both nod, and Paku speaks up. "It's been great! We learned a lot about our powers, and now we know how to make them stronger together."

Bithor smiles, pleased with their progress. "Very good. You two have great potential, and I'm sure you will be able to defeat Cithior if you fight together."

They both smile excitedly. "We plan to avenge Naria, and destroy those who took her."

"Naria?" Bithor asks. "The black dragoness of the southern stronghold?"

"Yeah, that's the one. You knew her?" Paku asks.

"I met her once before." Bithor replies. "She was quite impressive. But what happened to her?"

"She was captured by pirates. They took her to this prison in the evil lands. We tried to save her, but by the time we found her, Cithior had already drained her life force... and she died." Paku says, as he starts to tear up. "She was like a mother to me."

"... I am sorry to hear that." Bithor sympathizes. He looks down at the ground briefly, thinking of something to say next. Finally he lifts his head back up, speaking softly. "I will do my best to help you avenge her. I was fond of Naria, and am saddened to see she is no longer with us. I bet she is proud of you Paku, and what you are becoming."

His words bring tears to Paku's eyes, and he begins to cry silently. His thoughts wander away to the memories of Naria. After a moment, he wipes his face clean with a paw, sniffling quietly. Ziva puts a paw around Paku trying to comfort the dragon, as she hated to see Paku in pain.

After a while, the two dragons calm themselves down, sitting side by each other. "Thank you for listening Bithor." Paku thanks him.

Bithor gives a warm smile and bows slightly to show respect. "I am here for you three. If you need me, I'm always willing to be there." Bithor then exits the room, giving Patch, Ziva, and Paku some alone time to unwind.

Ziva sits beside Paku, rubbing his shoulder gently. "I'm exhausted. Breathing lightning for a few hours is pretty tiring."

Paku agrees. "Yes... It does take its toll." The dragon lies down, lying on top of the bedding, closing his eyes. "Just rest for tonight, and tomorrow morning will come soon enough."

Ziva nods and lies down next to Paku, the two dragons huddled next to each other. Both fall asleep quickly, not wanting to think any further into their loss or the future ahead of them.