Chapter 10

2016

You woke up in Bucky's room at 12:30 in the afternoon the next day. The bed was empty, and you sat up, not surprised.

You went back to your room and threw on a crop top with a small Captain America shield on it and jean shorts. You pulled your hair into a braided ponytail and grabbed your phone, a book, and a sketchbook.

You went outside of the compound and went up to a shady tree. You sat down and pulled out your sketchbook. You started sketching the outline of the team, when you looked up to see Bucky walking up to you.

You smiled at him. "Hey sargeant," He smiled.

"I haven't heard that in forever," He said. He sat down next to you and wrapped an arm around you. "What are you drawing?" He brushed his nose against the side of your face.

"The Avengers," You said. "As an apology gift." Your face fell when you said that, sketching and detailing Iron Man's suit.

"We'll all start talking eventually," Bucky said. You looked at him and smiled, leaning against him. You closed the sketchbook and sighed, the breeze sweeping your hair into your face.

After awhile, you both got up and headed inside.

You stopped by your room to drop off your stuff and a note was on your bed:

Hey Y/N. Just wanted to apologies for fighting. You and Bucky were made for each other. Ily--Nat

You smiled at the note and placed it on your desk next to Bucky's.

You went downstairs to make brunch, and said hi to Nat on the way.

"Hey Nat," You said. "I got your note. Thank you. And I understand."

"Thank you, Y/N," She said. She pulled you into a hug. "Besties for life."

"Always and forever," You said.

You continued going downstairs and didn't bother to say hi to Tony.

You entered the kitchen and pulled out some bread and cheese. You turned on the stove and placed on your ingredients.

"Hey Y/N," Tony said. You looked up at him, than flicked your eyes back to the stove.

"You're a good fighter," He said.

"Thanks," You said. You just noticed he had scars on his face and a broken arm.

"I'm sending you on a mission," He said.

"With who?" You said.

"No one," He said. You dropped the pan in your hand, making Vision fly through the walls and say "what happened?"

"Nothing," You said. You looked back at Tony. "Just me? Why? Where? How long?"

"For a month," Tony said. "We thought just you would be fine, because of your suit. I'll think you'll be fine."

"What is it for?"

"Recon mission for SHIELD," Tony said.

"SHIELD?" You said. "Whyy?"

"Y/N! You're the only one fit for it. T'Challa left back to Wakanda at 8 in the morning," Tony said. You leaned against the island counter and shrank into the ground, arms on your knees. Your eyes filled with tears. You didn't say goodbye. You didn't tell him you were sorry. What would Shuri think?

"Y/N..." Tony said.

"Holy shit," You said after a while. You walked back to your room as calmly as you could so no one would ask if you were okay, the tears in your eyes blurring your view.

Before you stepped into your room, you heard, "Doll?"

You stopped. You didn't want to look at him. But you did.

"Oh my god, doll?" He said, running towards you. "What's wrong?"

"Tony," Was all you could say.

"What did he do?" He said, looking mad.

"He's sending me on a mission for a month," You choked. Bucky helped you to your room and set you down.

"I just need to sleep," You said. "Some more..."

"No, no," Bucky said.

"Miss Y/N," JARVIS said. "Tony needs you in the lab."

You looked at Bucky.

"Stay with me," You said.

"Of course," He said. You gave him a kiss than headed to the lab. Bucky waited outside.

"Y/N," Tony said. "You leave tonight."

Your heart started to pump. You were going on a mission. Alone. To SHIELD.

"I hate you," You said. Tony looked at you.

"I'm sorry," He said. "Pack up. You leave in 45 minutes."