Chapter 9

2016

You wore what you wore on your 25th birthday, and headed to Bucky's room.

Bucky had cleared everything (well, moved everything to the side) and had pulled up a record player. He stole a table and chair from the attic and placed it down to look like the restaurant on your 25th.

You giggled as you walked him, seeing Bucky back into his war suit. The only thing that was different was his hair.

Steve came in, wearing the same war outfit.

On the record player was It's been a long, long time and you wanted to dance with Steve first.

Bucky sat down and watched as you and Steve slowed dance.

"Steve," You said. "Remember on my birthday, when you also disappeared. Where did you go?"

"Back to the camp I was trained in," He said. "Camp Lehigh. I informed the soldiers that Bucky was gone. We all searched but couldn't find him. In 2012, I woke up from a long 70 years in ice. That's how I'm still alive. Nick Fury introduced me to the Avengers, and they took me in."

"Wow," You said. You both slowed dance until you felt soft hands wrap around your waist and pull you away from Steve. Steve smiled at you and sat down with a drink, raising it to you.

You leaned back into Bucky and sighed. You still missed him so much. You couldn't believe you were back with him. He turned you around until your faces were inches away.

"Doll," He said. "I'm so sorry."

"For what?" You said, softly.

He kissed you. "I shouldn't have let you go that day."

You rested your head onto his chest and sighed. "You didn't have a choice." He planted a kiss on your head and sighed.

~~

Around 10 P.M., Steve said goodnight, and you helped Bucky clean up when you were done changing.

You took the table and chairs back to the attic and helped move his furniture back.

Once you finished, you cuddled up on the bed with Bucky. He rubbed a hand on your thigh, and you placed your head on his shoulder. He was whispering comforting words to you. He moved his hand to around your back and he was drawing circles with his hand.

You fell asleep in his arms and didn't wake up until the next afternoon.