Chapter 27

2023

"You should know, Baron," Selby said. She looked about 64, with white hair. She had a cheetah print coat and a white shirt. Lots of cheetah print. "People don't just come into my bar and make demands."

"Not a demand," Zemo said. "An offer."

"A lot has changed since you were here last," Selby said. Bucky stood still, and you stood next to him. Your hands twitched closer and closer to your dagger. "By the way, I thought you were rotting away in a German prison. How did you escape?"

"People like us always find a way, don't we?" Zemo said, shrugging his shoulders. "I'm sure you've already figured out what I'm here for."

"You're taller than I'd heard, Smiling Tiger," Selby said, pointing her finger to Sam. Sam nodded his head. She looked disappointed that he didn't talk. She purred, and Sam flicked his gaze to you and Bucky.

"What's the offer?" Selby asked, sounding excited.

"Tell us what you know about the super-soldier serum," Zemo said. He stood up and walked towards both of you. "And I give you him, and his partner White Panther."

You quietly gulped. That was definitely not apart of the deal.

"Along with the code words to control them, of course," Zemo added. "He will do anything you want."

"Now that's the Zemo I remember," Selby said, with a huge grin on her face. "I'm glad I decided not to kill you immediately. Yet, you were right to come to me. Arrogant, but right."

Zemo sat down, and Selby shifted in her chair.

"The super-soldier serum is here in Madripoor," Selby said. Your eyes widened slowly. "Dr. Wilfred Nagel is the man you wanna thank. Or...condemn, depending on what side of this you're on. The Power Broker had him working on the serum, but...things didn't go as planned."

"Is Nagel still in Madripoor?" Zemo asked.

"Oh," Selby said, slightly leaning forward with a tiny grin. "The bread crumbs you can have for free, but the bakery is gonna cost you, Baron. And before you get all cute, don't think you can find Nagel without me."

Than, a cell phone started vibrating. Sam dug through his pockets, and you cursed under your breath. Selby turned towards him.

Sam looked up at Selby.

"Answer it," She said. "On speaker."

You and Bucky moved closer, behind Selby.

A security guard started walking behind Sam. Sam answered it.

"Hello?" He said, all stern.

"Hey, um, we need to talk," said a female voice. "About this situation. It's been drivin' me nuts."

"What situation exactly are you talkin' about?" Sam said.

"Are you high?" She asked. "You know what situation, it's the only situation me and you have."

Selby started circling you and Bucky.

"What situation, Sarah? Say it!" Sam said.

"The damn boat," Sarah said. "And watch your tone. Okay? I let you slide at the bank."

Sam scoffed. "Yeah, the bank. Laundered so much. Yeah, they'll come around eventually."

"If that was the case, then why'd they dog you out, Big Time?" Sarah said.