Chapter 16

2023

You and Bucky moved out of the Avengers compound, and moved to Brooklyn, New York.

You guys lived in a small apartment, with one room, one bathroom, a small kitchen, and a medium size living room.

You guys have been married for 2 years now, and you haven't been in the White Panther suit since the beginning of 2023.

"Hey Bucky," You said, coming back from doing laundry.

Bucky had cut his hair, but he still looked adorable. You loved him more than anything.

Bucky was sitting on the couch, watching a channel. You gasped when you saw a bunch of Captain America posters, and Sam Wilson talking.

"Steve represented the best in all of us," Sam said. "Courageous, righteous, hopeful. And he mastered posing stoically." Everyone in the crowd laughed, and you giggled. You sat next to Bucky who pulled you into him.

"The world has been forever changed," Sam continued. "A few months ago, billions of people reappeared after five years away, sending the world into turmoil."

He paused, than said, "We need new heroes," He paused again. "Ones suited for the times we're in." You could see Rhodey, slowly nodding his head.

"Symbols..." Sam continued. "Are nothing without the women and men that give them meaning. And this thing..." He looked down at Steve's shield that was leaning against the table Sam was speaking at. He laughed. He picked it up and stared at it. Bunch of cameras started flashing.

"I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol," Sam said. "But it's more about the man who propped it up, and he has retired. So, today we honor Steve's legacy. But also, we look to the future. So thank you, Captain America."

Sam stared at the poster behind him than back at the shield, sadness in his eyes. "But this belongs to you." Everyone started applauding.

"What is he doing...?" Bucky said.

"Looks like he's giving the shield away," You said. You leaned into Bucky and sighed.

You watched as Sam gave the shield to a man, who he, and another man put it into a glass case.

"Thanks again for coming forward with the shield, Sam," A man said. "It was the right decision." You watched as Sam and Rhodey walked away, and Bucky shut off the T.V.

"He just...gave it away like that?" You said.

"Oh my god," Bucky said. He put his head into his hands and sighed. You gave him a hug than stood up.

"I'm going to clean up," You said. You headed to your room and folded your laundry and Bucky's, putting it away. You hopped into the shower and than cleaned yourself up.

~~

You woke up from the sound of Bucky screaming. You sat up, seeing he wasn't in bed.

You scrambled to Bucky who was on the floor of the living room.

"Bucky?" You said.

"Y/N?" He said. You wrapped him into a hug. He cried into your neck. Only one thought came to mind.

Nightmares.

~~

"So," Dr. Raynor said. "Mr. Barnes, are you still having nightmares?"

You stood against the wall of the therapy room, watching as Bucky sat down on a couch in front of a painting of birch trees. Dr. Raynor sat in front of him with a notebook in her hand.