Forty First Trial

PRESENT TIME

"W-what do you m-mean?" Byron asked. He felt like he was hearing the wrong thing. Ayaw niyang maniwala sa sinabi ni Bryson. Parang bigla siyang nanghina.

"It was a good thing that there is an airbag that somehow protected her head." Ani Jaxon sa kaniya. Napabuntong hininga ito. "Let's be thankful despite of her condition because she was able to survive. The impact of the accident was too much...it might affect her memories too..."

"N-no..." umiling si Bryson. He felt in denial. Desperate of what just happened in a snap of a finger. Parang kahapon lang ay sinusundan niya pa pauwi si Candace galing sa trabaho, at hanggang sa maka-uwi. Everything was just normal since yesterday, as if nothing could go wrong, and now... it happened in a blink of an eye.

Just like that day.

"She also has broken ribs, broken bones, and lots of wounds. If she will be waking up soon, part of her recovery would be a lot of therapy—"

"When will she wake up?" he asked. Sa ngayon, iyon ang importante sa kaniya. "O-other than her eyes? Than what you said, what else? She's okay right? She will be fine?"

Tinignan langs siya ni Jaxon. He can't find any hope in there, and everything he could see was uncertainty, and hesitance. Parang alam nito ang sagot, pero ayaw sabihin sa kaniya.

"Jaxon!" Muli niya itong kinuwelyuhan. "Fucking tell me! She will be fine right? Candace would be?!"

Hindi niya maintindihan ang sariling emosyon. He's trying to convince himself to be calm but his emotions are slowly scattering all around the place, not knowing what to recognize first. Parang ang katawan na lang niya ang gumagawa 'non para sa kaniya.

"Bryson! Jax!" narinig niya ang boses ni Zane. Hindi niya nilingon ang mga ito. He's waiting for Jaxon's answer that he seems that he doesn't want to give to him.

Humigpit ang hawak niya sa kuwelyo ni Jaxon. Jaxon looked at him, in the eyes. Para itong naaawa sa kaniya. "I don't know when she will wake up, it could take days, to weeks, to months... her accident is not really... that good."

Naramdaman niya sa likod si Zane, at alam niyang kasama 'rin nito si Easton. Hindi na nakapagtanong dahil sa narinig na sinabi ni jaxon. Confusion was written all over their faces, as they listen to Jaxon.

"And...she might not survive..." Iyon lang ang huling sinabi ni Jaxon. He excused himself, almost not wanting to leave if not because of Macey. Kailangan 'din siya ng dalaga, at kaya naman talaga siya nandito sa ospital ay para sa babae.

Bryson on the other hand can hear the muffle cries of Candace, and Macey's friend. Hindi alam ang gagawin. Two of their friends has been down to their lowest, at kahit marami sila, at puno ang support system na kaya nilang ibigay, sa ganitong kalagayan ay kahit sila ay manghihina 'rin at mawawalan ng tamang pag-iisip. Idagdag pa si Arce na hindi nila ma-contact, at malapitan kahit alam nilang kailangan 'din sila ng kaibigan sa malayo.

Bryson's tears started to fall. Hindi alam ang gagawin...o kung sino ang dapat tawagan. Sino ang dapat hingian ng tulong sa pagkakataong ito. His friend might be around, but it doesn't guarantee that he will receive help from them. Ang nangyari 'noon ay nakatatak sa isip niya.

That at times of need, tanging sarili niya lang ang aasahan. Kung darating man ang inaasahan niyang mga kaibigan ay huli na...o tapos na siyang lumaban.

His knees started to give in. Minute by minute, his mind started to wrap around what happened today. At what exact kind of turn of events happened today as if what happened months ago, to the threats that they received, to their break up—up to the worst situation that his friends faced is not yet done, and he had to face it too. With no proper preparation. No any warning. With no certainty.