Chapter 23

"Okay, so in this example, we're the acrobat

"Okay, so in this example, we're the acrobat." Mike explained, holding up a piece of paper with a quick sketch. "Will and Barbara and that monster, they're this flea. This is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding." He pointed to a spot underneath the line in the center of the paper. "Mr. Clark said that the only way to get there is through a rip in time and space."

"A gate." Dustin supplied.

Lucas nodded, "Which we tracked to Hawkins Lab-"

"With our compasses." Dustin finished.

"Because the gate has a strong electromagnetic field, meaning the compass' north would lead you straight there." Ryan said from her spot on the couch, understanding completely. Everyone turned to look at her in confusion. "What? I pay attention in physics. I've got a perfect grade."

"Is this gate underground?" Hopper asked, everyone's gaze shifting to him.

"Yes." El answered quietly, looking quickly at Ryan. She gave the small girl a reassuring nod, letting her know everything was okay. It was the first thing she had said since the kids had shown up at the house.

"Near Lard's water tank?" Peter asked, sitting on the arm of Hopper's chair.

Eleven nodded as Ryan looked at her older brother in confusion. The details were too specific. Dustin spoke up before she had the chance, "How did y'all know all of that?"

"They've seen it." Mike blinked in surprise.

"Wait, what? How?" Ryan stared at Hopper and Peter, waiting for an answer. Neither one of them spoke, they just stared at the piece of paper on the coffee table. She rolled her eyes. "Okay, fine. I didn't need an answer anyway."

Joyce ignored the tension between Hopper, Peter, and Ryan, leaning over to ask, "Is there any way that you could reach Will, that you could talk to him in this-"

"Upside Down." El supplied the word.

"Upside Down, yeah."

Eleven nodded again, as Nancy shifted next to Ryan, "And my friend, Barbara, can you find her too?"

Eleven slowly nodded, Nancy breathing a huge sigh of relief as she grabbed both Ryan and Jonathan's hands. Ryan glanced over at her, seeing a small flicker of hope on her face, something she hadn't seen since they had gotten lost in the Upside Down.

"I hate to be the one to bring this up," Axel said on the floor by Ryan's feet, raising his hand. "But how exactly do you plan on communicating with Will and Barb if they are stuck in another dimension?"

The group grew quiet as the realization hit them. It was the same problem Ryan had thought about days ago when the kids first presented her with the idea of the Upside Down. It was another dimension, a parallel world. How did you communicate across dimensions, especially if they didn't know where exactly Will or Barb were in the other dimension?