25: Her Last Straw

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE.

Surprisingly, he felt good today. He woke up as early as 6 am, directly took a cold shower and finished his breakfast and left his apartment before his housemates woke up.

He did tell Renjun and Jaemin that he was going to stay at his parents' house for two days but he kept it a secret that Jihyuck was coming along. Or else—he'd have to bring them as well.

He wanted to have a peaceful weekend. With the ones he loved. His family.

Donghyuck watched Jihyuck keep her luggage in the backseat. He couldn't help but be curious as to why she hung her head low as if she wanted to avoid meeting his eyes.

The door on the passenger side was opened and she slid in without a single word. She put on the seatbelt and heaved a long, quiet sigh.

'Is she mad at me?' was the first thing that crossed his mind. Nevertheless, he chose to step on the accelerator and started driving to their destination.

As he drove through the busy highway, he secretly stole a glance at the girl beside him. She was silent even after 20 minutes of drive. Head leaned against the window, she fiddled with her fingers.

He cleared his throat, hoping he'd sound natural. "Did I do something wrong?" he asked.

No answer.

He glanced at her briefly. "Are you okay?"

Still, she wasn't answering him.

He didn't even understand how his brain worked but the only thing that came to his mind was to pick a fight with her. Because only then, he'll figure out whether or not something was wrong.

"Don't you put on some makeup?" he began. He then laughed awkwardly. "That's why you look like a corpse when I first saw you."

Or maybe—he shouldn't have said that.

He really shouldn't.

Not even a minute later, he didn't receive the backlash he expected but heard sobs coming from her. Slowly, it got louder, making him panic.

His eyes grew bigger as he turned to look at her times to times. "Ji..."

He bit his lips when her shoulders started to heave up and down, followed by sniffles and hiccups. His fingers tapped anxiously against the steering wheel. "Fuck you, Donghyuck," he muttered under his breath.

"Ji? I'm sorry?" he glanced at her and she had her face buried in her palms. "Ji, I'm sorry. I just wanted you to say something—"

His apologies didn't work. Pointless.

Eventually, he decided to pull off the road.

He unbuckled his seatbelt and paid all of his attention to her.

"Ji, I didn't mean to make you cry," he said in a low tone. His tongue ran faster than his ego could process because if he was in his usual state and self-centered self, he would never say this kind of thing.

"Jihyuck..." his voice softened.

His heart somehow clenched against his will when she finally lifted her face. All he could see was her flushed face with swollen eyes. His eyelashes were soaked with tears and her chin visibly trembling.