27: Spilled Feelings

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN.

He tore his gaze off the screen of his laptop as soon as he heard the door creak.

"You're awake," she said as she invited herself into his room. "Why didn't you head downstairs? We were having breakfast together," she claimed a small spot at the edge of his bed.

"Trying to complete this work," he simply answered.

She hummed in acknowledgment. He proceeded to type something while she openly watched every move he made. She couldn't help but remember how hurtful he looked last night, how his voice cracked as he told her how exhausting it was for him.

'Why would you ask me if the world was ever kind to me? Was the world kind to you?' she questioned inside.

No. She didn't have to rack her brain to think about him, right? He was nobody to her. He was no more than an annoying being who existed, restricting her from being the best student in their class.

But the next thing she said to him didn't really reflect what she just concluded in her brain. "Did you sleep well last night?"

Donghyuck was obviously alarmed. "What?"

She asked him back, "what?"

He frowned. "What?"

"What?"

"What did you ask?"

She hesitated for a few seconds. "Did you sleep well yesterday?"

He stared at her blankly. "I did, I guess?"

She stared into space.

"It's so hard to sleep every day. I want it to stop, please. It's tormenting me."

Was she too soft-hearted? No, right? It was only humane to sympathize with him. If he didn't open up last night, she'd never know what this figure was dealing with under his mask.

"Do I look hot in a casual outfit?" he asked while his eyes glued to the screen.

"W-what?" she furrowed her brows.

"You keep staring at me," he stole a glimpse of her to see her face. Indeed, it was red. "Why? Do you get Deja Vu or something?"

Her face contorted with confusion. "What Deja Vu?"

He raised his brows, drawing his gazes towards her. Tilting his head, he crossed his arms on his chest. He then sighed. "That night, in your room," he began.

"The fuck you talking about?" she frowned.

"Do you really forget about it or are you pretending to not remember it?"

Her eyes dropped to his lips. That damn smirk. Lips. Wait, lips. In her room, that night, that familiar smirk—shit.

A victorious smile occupied his lips as soon as he saw the red tint appearing on her cheeks. "You remembered."

"The fuck. I don't remember anything. I don't get what you mean."

He scrunched his nose, shaking his head. "You totally remember it to be denying it this way, Hyuck."