41: Untold Burden

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE.

"We kissed that night."

Jihyuck's fist smacked his arm with force, causing his eyes to bulge with his mouth agape, groaning in silence. "Shut up." Her jaw clenched.

Jeno smacked a palm over his mouth while Jaemin blinked multiple times. On the other hand, Jaehyun was a little taken aback but he wasn't exactly shocked.

For some reason, her eyes were drawn to Jaehyun. He shot her a teasing smile. She immediately shook her head and waved her hands. "I swear, we didn't."

"Donghyuck, are you serious?" Jaemin asked. His eyes filled with horror, hoping that wasn't the case. But much to his dismay, he nodded as an answer.

"Jaemin, it's not a kiss—"

"Jeno, what is kissing to you?" Donghyuck queried.

Jeno glanced at Jihyuck. Her eyes glared at him while her hands doing all sorts of gestures to stop him from answering Donghyuck.

"When someone presses their lips on the other's," Jeno said.

"Exactly," Donghyuck nodded. He turned to the girl with a victorious smile tugged at his lips. "Didn't our lips pressed against—"

She couldn't hear the rest of his words. Her head grew dizzy as he unraveled the memory they shared she wished no one ever found out. And Jaehyun just happened to be here. Great.

"Ji," Jaemin said.

She raised her head, a serious expression plastered on her face. "Let me explain," she looked at each one of them. When her eyes met Donghyuck's face, anger spread across her chest. She quickly looked away.

A sigh escaped her mouth. "Donghyuck thought I had a crush on Jaehyun," she began. She looked up to see Jaehyun's face and his features were clouded with wonder.

Donghyuck choked back on sarcastic laughter. 'I thought she had a crush on Jaehyun? You do have a crush on him.' He remained silent, looking forward to seeing where this conversation was going.

"That time he sprained his ankle so he stayed at our house." Don't even talk about humiliation. She didn't think she could look at Jaehyun again. "And to prove that I don't have a crush on Jaehyun, I kissed him."

As someone who knew both of them for a very long time and has seen them choked, punched, and dissed each other, Jaemin and Jeno needed some time to decipher all of this.

"But!" she broke the silence. "Our lips touched and that was it. Nothing else happened. I swear, it ended there!"

His mouth twisted seeing how hard she tried to clarify that matter. Something in his chest folded painfully and his stomach twisted. But then again, he was the one who brought this up when he certainly knew it meant nothing. At least to her.

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

After reviewing her notes, Jihyuck thought she deserved to have some snacks. She needed to fill her stomach with something since it seemed like she will continue studying for at least one more hour.

Much to her surprise, when she reached downstairs, the kitchen lights were on. Obviously, she thought it was Jeno because everyone else would be sleeping in their room at this time—but it was her stepmother.