54: Two Hearts

CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR.

Donghyuck's chest felt heavy as he stared at Jihyuck. Her legs bounce uncontrollably and she kept rubbing her hands. The conversation he had with her last night flooded his head.

"Should I skip school for a week?" she asked, turning her body to face him.

Personal space? We don't know her anymore. She was lying on his bed, only a few inches away from him and it didn't bother her the tiniest bit.

He held her head without any warning and slid a pillow under her neck. "You want to skip school?"

It took Jihyuck a few seconds before she could process his question. Whatever he did just now caused butterflies to explode in her stomach, chilling her veins. "What if I encounter Jeno? I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to talk to him."

He hummed, letting her know he was listening.

"But it's almost exam season soon," she continued.

"Come to school. I'll talk to Jeno and ask him to give you time," he said. "You know him more than anyone. He'd respect your decision."

Deep inside, she can't believe she was opening up to Donghyuck. About her family, her mother, her father—she told everything to him. Someone she least expected to be great at consoling her aching heart. "Thanks," was all she could say.

"You need water?" he asked.

She snapped out of her trance. "No, thanks."

"What's wrong?" he decided to ask. "I already talked to Jeno and he's fine with giving you some time and space."

"I know," she said lowly. Her eyes dropped to her lap. "And I appreciate you for doing that. Really."

He inched closer. "Then why do you look so anxious?"

She brought her eyes to him. "Me?"

He nodded and without a single warning, he picked up her hand. "Your hand is cold."

She swallowed hard. "Oh..."

"You're not feeling well?" he asked again.

"No. I'm fine—" suddenly all of the vocabulary she learned throughout her whole life disappeared without a trace. "I'm just thinking about my little siblings."

He raised a brow. "Jedi?"

"And Jenna."

"Why?"

She politely pulled her hand from his grasp. "Funny thing is I don't trust their dad with them without me around. He always gets furious and says things without thinking much. Jedi and Jenna are still little kids, you know," she told.

His eyes lingered on her face. He could tell how worried she was. "It must be so exhausting."

She looked at him. "What is?"

"Isn't it tiring?" he questioned, heaviness in his voice. "Always caring for people but yourself."

Jihyuck swore all she wanted to do was wither in his arms and cry her eyes out. Tell him "yes, it's tiring. It's sucking her soul out." Her eyes watered but her attention came to cease when noises erupted around them.