29: Engraved In Her Memory Till Her Last Breath

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE.

It was her last day here.

Was it weird if she said she felt empty waking up this morning with the thought she had to leave? Because she was indeed sad to leave. To go back somewhere she refused to call home.

She can't believe she was sitting down on the floor together with Donghyuck and his parents in their living room as if she was part of their family. But it really felt she was one of them, that was how nice they treated her.

She smiled upon seeing the genuine grin on their faces.

"Mom, stop telling her everything!" Donghyuck groaned, his face turning red in embarrassment.

"He even peed his pants because he thought he saw a ghost but that was actually me in a white dress!" Mrs. Lee threw her head, laughing with her whole heart.

"Mom!"

"Enough, enough," Mr. Lee clapped his hands, gaining everyone's attention.

"Now," he smiled, looking at Jihyuck. He then turned around and extended his hand, seemingly trying to reach something from behind the couch.

"Surprise!"

Her brows lifted in wonder.

Seeing the girl freeze, Mr. Lee placed the big paper bag in front of her. "For you, Jihyuck."

She looked at the older man and then his wife. Mrs. Lee gave her a nod, assuring her it was truly for her and gestured for the girl to open it.

Hesitantly, she pulled it closer and slowly peeked through the gap. All she could see was a white box. She raised her head with an uncomfortable look plastered on her face. "I don't think you have to buy me anything, though."

Donghyuck hissed. "Just open it already!"

"It's for you, sweetheart," Mrs. Lee said softly.

"There's no need to feel bad, Ji," Mr. Lee convinced.

Oh, what did she do in her past life to know these nice people?

Eventually, she took the box out of its paper bag and turned it over. As soon as she saw the exclusive, neat gold print in the middle of the lid, she instantly put it down.

"Ji, what's wrong?" Mr. Lee asked, worried.

"Are you okay?" the older woman questioned.

"I can't accept this," she pushed it towards them.

Mrs. Lee tilted her head sadly. "Why?"

"This is too—much," she said. "I don't deserve it."

"Ji, we already bought this for you," Donghyuck's father assured her.

On the other hand, Donghyuck wasn't surprised that she rejected it. Despite being in an ill-fated relationship with her, he knew this and that about Jihyuck. One of them was the lack of self-love towards herself.

"Don't you feel bad? My mom and dad picked this for you," Donghyuck began. He was quite confident that it'd work. "Come on, they bought it because of you. You're the only one who deserves it."