58: Mama's Return

CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT.

Jihyuck's brows pulled together as she observed Donghyuck who was unable to sit still for some unknowing reason. She knew he wasn't the type to be nervous and anxious. Not around her especially.

But there was one thing he did without discussing with her beforehand and it might turn her into a demon—or worst, be the cause of his death.

It was too late to turn back time. And even if he could, he wouldn't. He believed this matter should be resolved as soon as possible. Someone needed to step on the accelerator and make the first move. So, he did. All for Jihyuck.

"Donghyuck, can you do me a favor?"

Donghyuck's brows lifted, he was a little taken aback by that.

Jeno rarely asked for help unless he was really desperate. Most of the time, even if he was facing the most complex issue, he'd find a way to resolve it himself.

"What favor?" Donghyuck questioned.

"I need to talk to Jihyuck. Face to face," he revealed. "With our mother."

Donghyuck didn't want to query much because for whatever reason Jeno wanted him to set up a meeting for them, they had every right to.

"What's wrong with you?" Jihyuck asked. There was irritation in her voice.

"What do you mean?" he almost stuttered. Somehow, despite the air conditioning in the cafe, he managed to sweat quite a lot.

Her eyes narrowed at him, amplifying his anxiousness that was already at its maximum level. "Did you do something wrong?"

His eyes widened. "No?!"

Her forehead creased. "Woah. Chill," she let out. She knew something was wrong because Donghyuck was not the type to talk in a high-pitched voice.

Shit. She was right.

"You—" she wanted to curse him with every vulgarity she could think of but that shouldn't be her main concern right now as there were two familiar figures on their way to the table she and Donghyuck were sitting at.

Her cheeks lost all their coloring. "Donghyuck. This is so not funny," she whispered in a strained voice.

"I'm sorry," he replied with an awkward smile.

"You and me," she pointed at herself and then him. "We need to talk at home. A long one."

"Hey."

Both of them raised their head, looking at the guest they had been waiting to arrive. Donghyuck had been waiting to be specific because she didn't come here for a dinner to see Jeno. Not as far as she knew.

As if that wasn't enough to surprise her, there was another figure appearing behind her twin brother—and she was someone she knew. A little too well even.

Their mother.

Her chest ached almost immediately. Tears began to form. This wasn't the way she expected to see her mother after five years, this wasn't the place she imagine she'd have to finally face her. The face that left her and her twin but she waited for her patiently and later, the woman only reached out for Jeno and worst, told him to hide everything from her.