chapter 10 - what the fuck is mordor?

CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

The group was in Nancy's car, driving to the boat house with Eddie's groceries.

"Not to like, be a wimp, or anything," Robin starts, "But can I stay in the car?" She asks to the group. Nancy was driving, Diana and Max were in the back, and Steve and Dustin sat in the trunk.

"Me too," Diana agrees, "This is gonna totally suck." She nods.

"It'll be fine!" Nancy says, clicking on her turn signal.

"I can't stand to see Eddie's dull eyes break," Diana says, her hand over her heart.

"Hey, at least he can drink himself into feeling better," Steve says, holding up the six-pack Eddie wanted.

"That's what my mom does," Max jokes, no one laughs.

"Why don't we start with the good news this time?" Robin asks, "Hey Eddie! We got you beer! Also, we found Vecna. Bad news, he's in that bad dimension we told you about. The gate's closed, so we can't even get in."

"Well, maybe don't say all that," Dustin says.

"We're one step closer to finding Vecna," Nancy smiles.

"See, Robin? Just be positive!" Steve smirks, eating a Pringle. Robin rolls her eyes, flipping Steve the bird.

"Oh shit," Nancy whispers, slowing down her car. They pull up to Reefer Rick's, which is surrounded by police cars. Crowds of civilians crowd around news cars. The police chief tries to reason with the people, to no avail.

"Did they... get Eddie?" Diana whispers, gazing out the window as Nancy slows down. Nancy parks the car, and they all get out. Max grabs Diana's hand for reassurance, which Diana greatly appreciates.

"Come on," Nancy says, quickly walking over to the crowd to listen.

"As many of you know, we received a call after midnight reporting a homicide on the lake," Powell says to the crowd, "Office Callahan and myself arrived first on the scene. We found the victim on the shore of Lover's Lake." Powell gestures behind him. "He was an eighteen-year-old senior from Hawkins High." Diana takes a shaky breath, her hand covering her mouth. Steve places an arm around her shoulder for comfort, and she leans into it. "Patrick McKinney." The group gasps, and Diana feels a little relieved, but also distraught. Dustin's talkie goes off in his backpack, and the shaken group jumps in surprise.

"Dustin? Can you hear me? Diana?" Eddie's static voice comes out, and Dustin scrambles to answer

"Eddie? Holy shit!" Diana whispers. The group moves away from the reporters to talk to the currently wanted 'murderer'.