Sweet Candy

(CW: Portrayal of depression/breakdowns, attempted suicide. Read safely.)

I placed my hands on the rails and stared down into the void. This is where I came to think, and today I had a lot to think about. It had been a few weeks since things had gone to shit, right about here, in these caves. I turned my head and gazed at the room to my right. Through those doors, then another set of doors, was the only bridge to the rest of the facility. It had collapsed a while ago.

To think one gootraxian could cause so much damage. Once the bridge fell, the panic that gripped the facility was like none other it had ever experienced, and in that panic, as everyone was trying to escape, the elevators broke on us. Our faithful, trusty elevators were completely broken. There wasn't a shred of hope in the facility. Almost no one escaped before they broke, and we were convinced that they hadn't made it far.

Was it worth it to hang around, waiting hopelessly for some kind of rescue team? Without the elevators, could they even make it down here? What a stupid fucking idea, I thought to myself, to build a facility underground with only one exit.

I looked around the room. There was a single door behind me, but I wasn't worried about anyone coming in while my back was turned. All around me were dark shadows on the floor, mostly in the corners of the rooms. I looked up to see suspended chemical vats, filled with a faintly glowing green liquid, hanging from the ceiling in multiple places. There was no way that was safe. Squinting, I could see that some of the chains were rusty. It had only been a few weeks, hadn't it? Were those chains rusted before now? I couldn't remember.

Again, looking to my right, there was that door. It led to a small room that didn't really have a specific purpose, but it branched off into two other paths. To your right would be the gas room, dead ahead would be the broken bridge.

I was filled with hatred for that stupid catte. I had been one of the first people to suggest a better way to contain it. We still never figured out how it kept getting out, though. As far as we could see, there were no holes in its containment chamber, but maybe something else...? What did it matter now? It was far too late to do anything about it. Not only was the entire containment section of the facility inaccessible, there was literally nowhere to contain the subjects out here. There was so little we could do.

I stared into the void, searching for hope, but I couldn't find even a shred of it. What was down there, exactly? I stared up from the void. There was nothing visible for miles, except for a few pillars. Suddenly, the facility's size felt incomprehensible. I felt so small and weak compared to everything else. I felt a lump form in my throat and I started to cry for the first time since we had all been trapped down here. I had the strongest urge to throw myself into the void, but I couldn't act on it.

My grip on the railing tightened. I couldn't, wouldn't, do it. I couldn't kill myself. I couldn't bring myself to die, even though any other outcome felt impossible. Suddenly, I had an idea. I didn't have to die, exactly, but I knew what might take the pain away. Permanently.

I stepped into the small office room. There was a single table and a single shelf. Under the shelf was a small pink puddle, spreading across the floor. How easy it might be to step into it... No, that didn't seem right. There was a specific allure that came with the void. It looked as though it would wrap around my body and take me away. How could I make that happen without actually jumping in? My eyes shifted to the room to my right.

What did it feel like to suffocate? Would it take a long time? Would it hurt very much?

I was standing, now, before the door to the room. The pad on the floor had a red and black pattern. I knew that meant danger, but I was glad to ignore it. I took a step forward and when the door slid open I was hit with a smell. It was the last smell I expected, from what I was walking into.