Chapter 11

"WHAT?!" I shouted into my phone as the rolls of parchment I was holding slipped from my arm and fell to the floor.

"Shit!" I bent down on my knees quickly to collect them, then pressed the phone to my ear by my shoulder. "Sir, what do you mean he died?" I asked Yaga on the other end of the line, repeating what he just informed me.

"You heard me, Ania, this unfortunate news came so shocking to me as well..." I heard him sighing as I put the rolls on the desk in the first year's classroom that I was in.

"It was an accident. They were on a mission and Itadori had to call Sukuna out for help, but it appears he lost control over him and Sukuna..." He paused, sighing deeply again. "Well, the rest doesn't matter."

I dropped my body on the nearest chair, trying to absorb the news he was telling me. I just met the kid two weeks ago, but I couldn't help feeling like I lost an old friend! He was a good kid, a funny and a smart kid. I found myself feeling sad about how things ended up for him.

I started rubbing at my chest, where my heart was. This was something I did absentmindedly whenever I felt emotional pain.

"Gojo is going to be away for a few days, arranging few plans and dealing with missions. What I wanted to ask from you is, could you please stay with the first years? They were his friends. Plus, they need a teacher to start training them for the Kyoto exchange program." Yaga finished and I sat upright in my chair.

"Exchange program? Is it starting already?" This had completely slipped from my mind. I forgot about the annual exchange program with the other jujutsu school, my old school.

"Yes, and it will be held here in our academy. The dates aren't agreed on yet but we need all the time we can get to train and get ready." He said and I nodded at his words.

"Of course, Sir, I'll get started on it as soon as I can." And with that we said goodbye and hung up.

What the fuck am I supposed to do now? This is going to be my first time teaching! And I don't know what to do regarding the whole Itadori thing either! I know it's shocking and his friends will be sad, but I don't know how to console them! I'm physically unable to comfort anyone anymore... I guess I burnt myself out on myself, the irony.

Shaking my head to myself, I stood up and walked to the sliding doors of the classroom, the one opening to the outside gardens. I reached for my pack of cigarettes and I lit one. This's going to be too draining for me and I needed all the comfort I could get from my little fuckers.

Halfway through my cigarette, I got out into the garden and started walking, searching for Megumi and Nobara. My face was already sweating from the heat of the sun above me and I could feel my face flushing. The heat was still no joke around here.

Ten minutes later and I saw them, sitting on the steps of the main hall, looking more miserable than ever. I sighed and put out my cigarette, exhaling the last puff of smoke.

"Hey, kids." I said awkwardly when I reached them, "I just heard from principal Yaga, I'm terribly sorry for your loss." I murmured as I squinted at both of them. Megumi nodded and Nobara just buried her face into her knees.

I sighed a heavy breath then walked to sit between them. "Listen, I really suck at these things." I told them honestly and caught Megumi's head nodding at me.

"It's okay, Ania, we're okay. We're jujutsu sorcerers, these things can happen." He said and nodded again. "It's okay."

I glanced at him while he was looking at the ground. His side profile couldn't look any more like his father's, the man I once loved. Even the way he spoke, so gentle. The way he carried himself, he is his father's son. And without really thinking, I nodded at him then jumped to wrap my arms around his neck. Megumi's body jolted and stiffened between my arms.