Chapter 32

It seemed to be a normal thing now. Me waking up feeling lost and hazy, unaware of where I was and who was there with me...

The moment my consciousness returned slowly to me, I snapped my eyes open. I prepared myself to start crying, considering how the last time this happened ended up. But nothing happened. My eyes being open did nothing to help me fathom where I was. Because I opened them, and only emerged from darkness to another one.

It was dark, and too quiet around me. Only the sound of my accelerating breath was heard in my ears. I opened my mouth to say something but my voice failed me. My throat felt dry and still tight with pain. So I gulped, and inhaled a deep breath to ease my racing mind. But that did not help as I tried to move and sit but ended up being tugged back to the bed I was sleeping on.

My hands, my body, were tied to that bed!

So I screamed, with everything I got, at the top of my lungs. My voice sounded so hoarse and wounded to my ears but I didn't care and kept screaming hysterically. Panic and fear seemed to take ahold of me again.

Instantly, a door got pushed open and light shone through, casting over the shadow of the small body that ran quickly into the room. I knew who that was but I did not stop screaming. Hot tears gathered in my eyes and the rasping dryness in my throat increased with every scream I made.

That person rushed to me, but a little hesitantly, and tried pushing me backwards into the bed, trying to steady me or just holding me to reassure me. But I closed my eyes and kept wriggling myself, kicking and screaming until I saw those hands leave me at once. And head backwards to go grab something.

Under the dim light coming through the door, I saw the quick reflection of the tiny needle again. "Stop!" I breathed out, panicking. My voice too weak from screaming. "Don't, please! Not again, please!" I started crying.

Shoko stopped, her hands only a few inches away from my arm. Holding that needle in her hand.

"Don't make me fall asleep again, please! I won't hurt you, never! Just please..." I kept crying in despair. Feeling myself too weak to even talk.

"Oh, Ania..." I heard her soft voice, then watched as she put the lid back over the needle and placed it somewhere else. Away from me.

Then, unable to see her face, I heard her deflating sigh as she started walking. Away from my bed, she sat on a chair near the opened door. As if preparing herself for an easy exit.

I gulped one more time to ease the roughness of my voice, then said. "Where am I?"

"Still in the infirmary." She said this and I saw her arms crossing over her body. I took a breath in, then closed my eyes and my mind couldn't help but focus back on the ties around my wrist. I felt trapped, and my panic wasn't easing away. It was getting worse, because I was growing scared now.

"Where's Satoru?" His name sounded so strange out of my mouth. I was scared, and I needed him. Yet, at the same time, I was kind of scared of being near him. Because he was in on this. And now that I think back on it, he was not concerned for me, but afraid of what I might do. He helped her sedate me and didn't even stop for a second to hear me out, or understand me...

"Ania, please don't make this harder than it already is..." I heard Shoko say instead of answering my question.

"Harder? What the fuck are you talking about?" I snapped, then caught the way her shadow slightly stiffened and she sat upright. I breathed out, twice, to calm myself before talking again.

"I'm the one tied in a fucking bed, getting treated like some maniac. Why are you doing this to me? I didn't hurt anyone!" I said, now my voice low but still too hoarse and irritated.