Forty

Some time passed, in which Adler didn't do anything but go on your last nerve.

Again and again, he entered the room to check what was going on, asked many of his impatient questions and tried to pressure you into pumping Bell full of drugs to speed up the process.

It was your very first time to see him so actively concerned about something, desperately trying to regain control over his perfect master plan that was laying shattered before his feet.

It kind of felt satisfying to see him struggle once himself after putting you and others through similar situations countless times before. But at the same time it was also concerning.

Russell Adler never lost his nerves. Now that he did, it was obvious that shit was about to go down.

"Adler...", you growled and pushed him out the room. "Stop watching my methods. I'm not your little fucking toy that you need to check on every second."

Displeased, Adler straightened his back and stood up straight to his full size. He wasn't a small man, had about the same build as Woods and was physically well trained. You would have fought him with bare hands, but only if it wasn't preventable.

"You have a job to do.", he said, his face so close to yours that it felt uncomfortable.

With your eyebrows knitted together, you raised your chin to withstand his gaze and return the attitude.

"I know what the fuck I'm doing.", you tapped his chest with two fingers. "Let me handle my shit."

"I want you to show results."

"You'll get them. Just not right now."

"When?"

You shrugged.

"How am I supposed to know? Who am I? Houdini?", you hissed back.

His hand snapped forward. For a second, it seemed as if he wanted to strangle you.

But before his fingers could brush your face, Woods suddenly appeared next to him. With a quick reaction, he caught Adler's hand mid air before you could even realise what was going on.

With one eyebrow raised, Adler looked at him.

"Stay out of this.", he growled into Woods direction. "This is a matter that doesn't need your participation."

With his lips pressed into a thin line, Frank tightened his grip as a warning before letting go.

"Your bad mood won't get Bell back to the living either.", he noted and slid between you and Adler to create some space. "I don't recall you being the one who knows how to handle people."

Amused, Adler let out a huff.

"I'll crack him.", he wanted to push past Woods, but you stood in his way.

"Cracking him would mean he'd be useless after that.", you reminded him. "But if I handle the matter, he might be useful for a bit longer."

Adler hummed, a sign that he wasn't absolutely against the idea as long as he'd pull the long end of the stick.

But now it was Hudson, who had to disagree.

"Bell is categorised as high risk.", he said.

You shrugged.

"So am I.", you gestured towards Mason and Woods. "And these two idiots as well."

Hudson frowned.

"But your loyalty is out of the question. As soon as Bell did his part, we need to neutralise him."

"I am very much aware of the CIA's rules."

"Good. Then get rid of him now. He's of no use anymore anyways."

Displeased, you frowned.

"I can make him be useful again.", you insisted.

"And how do you want to do that?", Hudson tilted his head to eye you from top to bottom. "If he wakes up, he's a bigger risk than before. He won't tell us anything."

"I'll make him talk."

"About what?"

"The nukes are one thing. But I'm sure he knows more shit. Not just where Perseus is but further plans, backup plans in case this one fails. Anything. He's his right hand man, he must know something."

Adler let out a deep breath.

The cloud of his cigarette smoke coloured the air grey for a moment.

"And you're sure he'll tell?", he asked and looked at you from the edge of his shades.

Adler's eyes were roughly the same colour as Woods, blue but with a hint of grey in them. Woods, on the other hand, had a paler blue, almost watery, like a rainy sky without grey clouds.

It had always irritated you when Adler showed his eyes, not just because they were familiar yet unfamiliar, but also because he showed them so rarely, it felt unnatural.

A cold shiver crawled down your spine.

"If you let me do my magic without interfering every other second, I'll try what I can.", you said in a calm yet tense voice.

Hudson sighed.

"We don't have time for you to experiment.", he said.

Amused, you huffed, raised your chin and glanced at him with your arms crossed.

"But we had time to put an entire brainwash on a Russian spy a few weeks back?", you asked sarcastically. "I'm not asking for infinite time. A day, max. If nothing comes around till them, you can drug him to the nines."

Adler glanced at Woods.

Without skipping a best, Woods gifted him a grim glance to remind him that it wasn't your temper that had to be feared. Cracking his knuckles, he slid to the side to make clear he was with you.

Mason joined to make the old trio complete.

"It's worth a try.", Mason agreed. "(Y/N) knows what to do. I know that, Woods does and so do you. The odds are against you."

A low breath escaped Hudson. Knowing that he lost the fight, he turned away.

Again, everything depended on Adler's judgement.

The thought made you shiver a bit, you didn't always agree with his methods nor decision. But you knew that he was a man of logic and valued the results more than the methods.

He'd be pissed, but only until your idea would turn out to be a success.

"No fucking around.", Adler said as he turned to you again. "You've got ten hours, max. We don't have more than that."

Letting out a deep breath, you hummed.

"Deal.", you glanced over your shoulder.

Sims moved.

"He's coming to!", he announced as Bell let out a shivering, deep breath.