prolouge

kaylin was born a kook, but that all changed about three summers ago. she had anything and everything she wanted, expensive jewelry, clothes, boats, and more. she had rafe cameron wrapped around her finger all of her freshman and sophomore years of school.

her life was turned upside down when her mother, emily parker, passed away when kaylin was only 12. she had always been close with her mother, since her father had left shortly after she was born. now, even though she was close with her mother, her step father blake was anything but kind to her. her mother and step father never got married, but were together for the better part of her life. since she was only 15 when her mother passed away, everything she had was left to her step father.

even though blake was madly in love with kaylin's mother, he despised her. she never knew why, but he had always been horrible towards her. now, this is where things go sideways. blake had never legally adopted kaylin, so he had no obligation to take care of her. blake kicked her out of the house only two days after her mother died, and didn't let her take anything with her. a few days later blake sold the parker residence on figure 8, and everything else her family had owned. he pocketed the money from it and was rumored to move to the bahamas.

now that her mother and step father were gone, kaylin was left with nothing. no one.

that was until she found rafe. when she was a freshman, she and rafe fell in love. they had a messy relationship, but it lasted two years.

kaylin had broken up with rafe a month ago, but she deep down she still loved him. kaylin didn't cry over him, not once, she just completely shut off her emotions. she knew they couldn't be together, they were too fucked up. they brought out the worst in each other, and everyone on the island hated them for it. they didn't end things on good terms, but thats a story for later.

big john, john b's father, had taken kaylin in merely a few days after she befriended the pouges. she became attached to big john and did not take his disappearance well. that is when she started drinking, so about 2 years ago. people say she has a drinking problem, but she wont admit it. she grew close with jj, and they developed a sibling-like bond. kiara's parents offered her a job at the wreck, a restaurant her family owned. she gladly accepted this job and worked 4 days a week to support herself.

kaylin had spent the last two summers treasure hunting with the pouges. unfortunately, this meant she had been in lots of legal trouble. considering she was only a orphaned junior in high school, she didn't have much to lose.

and one thing that wasn't mentioned, she was hooked on cocaine. this was courtesy of rafe. now as mentioned before, they brought out the worst in each other.