Chapter 17

"(Y/N)-" Ace knocked on your door softly. No answer. You blamed Ace and Sabo for hurting Kazuha. Ace wanted to change it if he could, wanted you to like them again, but he knew you wouldn't. Your mental state had been badly damaged. Sabo had suggested therapy as apparently such mental instability was quite common in tortured victims.

"Ace- can I try?" Itto asked, looking at him with hopeful crimson eyes. Ace nodded and stepped aside. Even if you wouldn't forgive Ace- even if you would hate him forever for what he did to Kazuha- as long as you were safe and happy, he was fine with that. He was used to being hated anyway. Sabo noticed the hurt in his eyes and put a hand on his shoulder which kind of soothed him in a way.

"(Y/N)?" Itto poked his head into the room. You sat at the far end, pulling at your hair. Your eyes were red and your teeth chattered. Everything he'd seen in the mentally disturbed patients at interns.

"Go. Away." you breathed. Itto gulped as he slowly made his way towards you. He sat at a distance from you and scratched the back of his head as you buried your face in your pillow.

"Kazuha's alive- your brothers didn't do anything. They just wanted you to be saf-" he was cut off by your glaring and the sharp words that followed, a combination of speech he hadn't expected from you.

"Its all their fault." you mouthed. Itto swallowed the comforting words he'd thought would work. He picked up a notebook and scribbled words onto it then handed them over for you to see.

Tell me something you never told before.
Before I walk through the door, I adore you, I do, I do.

Your eyes widened slightly at this message and you took the pen he offered shakily. You scribbled down a message and passed it to him.

Smile with me, and cry with me, I won't ever  tell a soul.

He wrote back, with a wider smile.

Hold my hand, I'll squeeze it back,
And I'll never let go.
Never give up, never look back.

This time, you wrote a single line.

I won't give up, I'll keep on trying.

Itto wrote back much decisively then held your hand as you read his message.

Dry your tears up, all of your crying.

You wrote back while blinking away tears.

Cannot fix me up, my darling.
Fix me up, my darling.

Itto's eyes softened as he saw those words and threw his arms around you in a hug, instantly enveloping you with his warmth. His grip was gentle, quite unlike his usual rough maneuvers with you.

"I love you, (Y/N). I'm sorry for lying. I was just- scared. Don't you lose hope, the sky's not fallin'. Please just listen, cause I'll be callin'." he kissed your forehead tenderly. "One more moment please."

"Its too late, I'm afraid I have to leave." was the cold reply as you pushed him aside. Itto couldn't control his tears. He'd missed the only chance at regaining the love he'd forsaken for the sake of his friends. He felt cold and lonely without the safety of her warmth.

"One more moment please." he repeated. He was met with a cold glare and no reply.

Cannot fix me up, my darling.
Fix me up, my darling.