26

Chapter 26

3 Months later

Me" Don't hang up"
Sima" Why would I hang up?"
Me" Ndikwazelaphi?  Haven't seen or spoke to you in months"
Sima" It's been hectic I'll admit"
" I think everything will calm down now that we have both moved into our offices"
Me" I miss you"
Out of the entire friend group, she and I are closer with each other. Same with Bongi and Cebo.
Sima" Missed you too, I miss the kids just as much"
Me" Cebo is calling, should I add her?"
Sima" No. You can answer then call me back"
Me" If I can forgive her, you can also do it"
Sima" You know? You are surprisingly calm"
Me" About the child? Yes she told me and I choose to deal with Andrew instead of her because he is my husband"
Sima" Zoey!"
Me" Yintoni? I am done with being angry mani mna"
Sima" I refuse to believe you fixed things with Cebo so fast. I can't fucken stand her and if Bongi knew she also wouldn't be as chilled"
Me" Yes but Andrew is the wrong one here"
Sima" Cebo fucked Andrew!!! And you are still cool with her? That's insane. Then she will never take accountability for her actions. Andifuni nombona mna, tell her to stop calling me. She didn't tell you the full story and maybe that's why you are okay with it but they fucked while you were in hospital not before she knew he was your Andrew. Uyaxoka! That's why Zam doesn't want her because she used to do Andrew. Ufike apha ekhala telling me that shit, you can all be friends but count me out"
Me" What are you talking about? I was speaking about her laughing at Cassandra naming her child Andrew Junior"
" Cebo slept with Andrew?"
Sima" Fuck!"
" I thought sithetha ngalonto, I thought she told you like she said she would"
Me" I have to go. I love you"

#

"Masambe"
I shouted and Mavu stared at me. He really doesn't even try to hide how annoyed he is by me fetching him at school.
Mavu" Why are you here?"
Me" Because I missed you"
Mavu" Undisa kwabantwana bakho?"
Me" Hahaha why don't you like my kids?"
Mavu" I do, I just don't want to see them today"
Me" Hahaha tough luck, they are already waiting for you. We are spending the weekend with you"
Mavu" Yhooooo"
" Friday to Sunday?"
Me" And Monday, it's a public holiday"
Mavu" Yhuu, hay masambe Zola"
Me" What do you want to do before we go home?"
Mavu" Nothing"
Me" I can do nothing"
I took us to the beach and we sat in the car watching the waves. I gave him a packet of chips and we listened to music not saying anything to each other.

" I am leaving Andrew"
I said it out loud for the first time and I finally felt sure that it was the right thing.
Mavu" Uyaphi?"
Me" Moving back to PE"
Mavu" And your child?"
Me" I have 3 kids"
Mavu" I know, thetha ngo Luna"
Me" I need you to stop eavesdropping when I call my parents"
Mavu" They are also my parents"
Me" Yea but you are a baby"
Mavu" I am okay with that, you are always going through something"
Me" Right? Hahaha"
" We should get going"
Mavu" We can sit here. If you need it"

#

The weeks that followed were me building up the courage to tell Luna that I am divorcing Andrew. I knew she would choose him over me and for the first time I was actually okay with that. I had to put myself first.
" Are you joining us?"
Andrew asked me and I stared at him, I was curious about how many times he fucked Cassandra. While we were fixing our marriage or if he did or it happened when we separated or they had an affair while we were still together and became comfortable when we separated.
Me" No, I am bushed, I will use this time to sleep"
Andrew" You seem so distant lately"
Because you slept with Cebo.
Me" I am okay"
Andrew" Should I ask my parents to keep them then we go out together?"
" I'll do that, we haven't done anything fun for ages"
Me" Okay"
Andrew" I am worried about you"
Me" Don't be"
Luna walked in the kitchen wearing her tennis uniform, she stood next to Drew and looked at me.
Luna" Aren't you coming?"
Me" Not today Luna"
Luna" But you never miss my games"
Me" I am exhausted"
Luna" Then I am not playing"
Andrew" I will be there"
Luna" It's not the same, you are on your phone most of the time"
Me" You should all go, we don't need you being late"
I gave Luna a hug, then whispered in her ear;
" You are great. Talented. Beautiful and courageous. Win or lose, you are still doing great"

#

"Zoey"
He pulled the blanket away from me
" What's wrong with you?"
Andrew asked me and I also didn't know what's wrong with me. So I shrugged and pulled the blanket.
Me" I just want to sleep"
Andrew" You are not pregnant, I know this for a fact. I have been here with you before Zoey and I thought we were done with this"
Me" I am not done! I am not done with you having a child with another woman! That's not something I can sweep under the rag and move on from"
Andrew" You were fine for months"
Me" I was processing!!! I am tired Andrew and I am not arguing with you"
Andrew" What do you want?"
Me" I want you to leave me alone"
Andrew" I can't"
" Get out of bed Zoey"
Me" No!"
Andrew" Get the fuck out of bed!!"
" I am not going through this shit with you again. You will get out of bed and take a fucken bath!!!"
Me" Just leave me alone"
" Please"
Andrew" No! I refuse to leave you alone"
Me" You should"
Andrew" What is wrong with you!!??!!"
Me" You!!! You are what's wrong with me!!!"
" Cebo?? Really Andrew??"
Andrew" What about Cebo?"
Me" You slept with her"
Andrew" What the fuck are you on about?"
Me" I can't anymore, I can't stay with you. I can't take the humiliation"
Andrew" I have never touched any of your friends!"
" Who told you this"
Me" I don't believe you"
Andrew" Zoey, I have never and I need you to believe me"
Me" I don't believe you"
Andrew" I have never fucked Cebo"
Me" Please let my children and I go. I am begging you to divorce me and let me have my kids. Because you and I are done"