𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻

Ruby POV

I woke up next to a handsome man after a relaxing and wild night. Jake. We cuddled for a while as I was still dead tired, but he managed to wake me up with a shock within seconds. My heart was racing, and I was afraid of what he was up to. Such words never meant anything good!

"But we should talk about something."

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked ignorantly.

"I watched you yesterday."

That's it; my heart stopped beating. Time stood still. I looked for answers but couldn't find any. I looked at him desperately, and for a brief moment, I saw anger flash in his eyes.

Jake: "Ruby, please tell me the truth," he begged.

"I don't know what you mean," I lied, trembling.

"Now, don't play dumb. You know exactly what I mean," he said, a little more angry.

"Shit, how do I explain that..."

"How about you just answer a question for me."

"Ok, shoot."

"Who are you?"

I gulped hard. I wasn't prepared for him to be so direct. The three words I feared the most.

"I- Er... Fuck that!" I cursed.

I was livid with myself and my carelessness. I had to pay better attention. I didn't survive six years on the road to slack off now. I wanted to smack myself in the rush of emotion for insisting on lighting that shitty candle yesterday.

"Stop this bullshit and finally tell me the truth!"

I winced at his sudden reaction. He was angry and felt betrayed that I didn't tell him the truth. I tried to form a sentence in my head that would only make vague sense, but I forgot all the words that existed in this world.

I didn't know how to tell him I was a witch. Even if he believed me, he would immediately think, like all humans, that I'm one of the wicked witches. Just as they are portrayed in today's movies. But that wasn't the reality. Fairies are the good guys, and witches are the bad guys.

Typical cliché.

Jake realized I was lost in my thoughts, and, voice raised, he brought me back to reality. "Tell me!"

I broke away from him and started pacing back and forth in front of the bed, feeling his eyes on me. I scratched my forearms, which oddly enough kept calming me, and bit my lip nervously. I no longer dared to look the man on the bed in the eye and held my gaze lowered.

I finally found my voice again. "I'm sorry, Jake. I didn't know how to tell you. I was afraid you wouldn't take me seriously. You're gonna think I'm crazy."

He got up but still kept a little aloof from me. "Tell me, and you'll see if I take you seriously or not."

"Jake... I... I'm not a normal human being like you." I slowly tried to step into the strange waters.

"Don't make such a mystery out of it! Say straight out who and what you are!"

He yelled, but he wasn't angry or mad. He was afraid. Terrified! He understood every computer system, code, and surveillance system. He could hack into several cell phones at the same time while drinking a coffee. He understood the logic.

But he didn't understand me.

I was a mystery to him.

"Jake," I sighed. "I am so sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. I just don't know if you'll believe me."