𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓮𝓷

Ruby POV

Looking at the scenario in front of us, a shiver ran down my spine. Jake stood next to me, frozen in place and shaking like mad. I got closer to him, and he immediately snaked his arm around my waist.

"What- What happened here?" He asked.

I could tell that he wasn't able to say more than just this question. I felt the same. How was this even possible? The world was fine five minutes ago, and now everything was even more messed up than before. It was still snowing, but it was too warm for snow. The sky was clear blue, with no clouds. I was used to it in Germany; the weather was a little chaotic in the last few years, but this felt abnormal. I knew this wasn't normal by the sight that unfolded before my eyes. My body shook, and goosebumps crept over my skin. The urge to scream in panic became big, but I had to be strong now for Jake. It must be his first time seeing something like that. He stepped back and bumped with his back into the wall, his face losing all its color. My eyes fell on the ground and what lay before my feet.

All the guards...

Were frozen to death!

A man in his 30s lay with his back on the floor. He was right at my feet. Jake was standing in front of another corpse. There were five dead bodies all around us.

It was a nightmare!

The man in front of me... His eyes were wide open and had lost all color. A white haze had settled over his eyes. His mouth was wide open, frozen blood on his lip. His nose looked broken, and the frosty blood ran out of it. His lips were blue, and his face was swollen. His skin had split open from the cold, and bloody spots were all over his body. His hair was covered in frost and was white as snow. His gaze was blank, and his skin was pale with a bluish tint. His right arm was frozen to his body, and his left arm was slightly bent as if he was about to punch someone, but he never got around to it. His clothes were covered with frost. Some of his fingers were broken and bloody. All the other corpses didn't look much different.

Whatever happened here, they didn't die of the weather.

Who would do something so horrible?

Some of them may have a family at home!

Wife and children!

They were innocent.

They just wanted to protect us.

That made no sense!

Nobody freezes to death when it's 10 degrees outside.

How would I even explain this to Alan?

He would have many questions, and I had to answer them. Otherwise, I couldn't explain. Were my pursuers behind this? If so, how did they do that? Sure, there are always these rumors about the government owning guns that no one knows about, but that?

No weapon can do that, right?

And if they were behind it, we weren't safe here. I quickly took a look at Jake and grabbed his hand. I gasped in shock. His hand was cold as ice. I dragged him behind me in his apartment. I opened the door to his apartment and went in with him. He walked behind me like a zombie. I think it was his first time seeing a body. That was the same reaction I had when I saw a dead man on the street. He starved to death. It was horrible, but this here was even more horrific. I helped Jake to sit down on his couch and lie down. I stacked some pillows under his feet, which were supposed to help with shock. I covered him with a blanket and let our favorite song play in the background, but very quietly. He was shaking terribly. He was staring somewhere in the room and blinked several times, and then he blinked not at all. His breathing was flat.