𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓻𝓻 𝓢𝓲𝔁𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

This chapter will deal a bit with court hearings and prison stay, since I don't know how this works, I'll write it the way I imagine it. :)

***********************

Jake POV

Here I am, sitting in the defendant's chair. I can't believe I'm going to jail for 6 months. Everything is spinning, my pulse is racing and tears are rising in my eyes. I do all this for Ruby, Hannah, Lilly, and also for myself. This is the only way I can finally be a free man and live a normal life. The judge lists all of my sentences, then he enumerates why and how they are reduced, generally telling that I worked under duress and that the real culprit is dead. It hurts to know that my old best friend is dead, but it's better that way. As the judge renders my verdict, I hear sobbing from a few benches behind me. I turn around and see Ruby's tear-stained face.

I give her a look that says I'm sorry, but she shakes her head, wanting to reassure me that she doesn't blame me for anything. Two souls who understand each other without words. Six months without love, without closeness, without joy, without light, without Ruby. Ruby gave me all this, I love this woman more than anything!

My heart is getting heavier and I can't bear the sight of her and turn around. A lump forms in my throat, how am I supposed to get through this? I don't even know what to expect in prison. A tear rolls down my cheek and I sob lightly, the judge was about to hit his hammer when his gaze lands on me. He hesitates briefly and I can see that he's sorry, finally, I hear the hammer hitting and my verdict is made. Two police officers come up to me and handcuff me and lead me out of the room. I turn and look into Ruby's eyes, full of tears and her cheeks are wet. I don't let go of her gaze, we maintain eye contact until a door separates us. Love. True love.

Outside, behind the building, a car is waiting for me to be put in, and one policeman stays with me. I look at him questioningly.

Policeman: "I have to stay with you, you could run away."

He winks at me, but I don't feel like laughing and he notices it immediately. Tears run silently down my cheeks and he looks at me sympathetically.

Policeman: "Everything will be fine, we know that you never wanted anyone bad. Your lawyer did a good job, actually, it should be one year."

I can't believe what I'm hearing and he actually manages to engage me in conversation. I tell him how everything happened back then and how I was on the run from Damon, that it would have meant my death if I had turned myself into the government. He fully understands, then I tell him about Ruby. With every word it gets harder for me to talk until at some point I stop because the lump in my throat is too big.

Policeman: "I'm sorry about what happened to you."

After a short pause, he says the words I feared most,

Policeman: "We're here."

Arrived in the building I am given a jumpsuit in a desolate grey, the rest is in my prison cell. I am sent to a room where I can change, everyone is monitored everywhere. You don't even have to think about escaping, it's impossible.

My heart is pounding in my chest as I am led to my cell. Three other inmates are in a cell with me. A somewhat burly man, with a brown beard and brown tousled hair. A skinny guy, with lots of tattoos and his skin looks dirty and he's bald. The last man is also quite thin but muscular and looks very well-groomed for a prison. When the grate closes behind me, I jump and six eyes look at me. A huge stone falls from my heart when the tattooed man starts talking