𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓕𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

Ruby POV

"How?"

Jake: "I don't know, I. I'm scared of myself and I'm scared that I'll hurt you accidentally."

He hangs his head down and now I understand his behavior, but he just could have talked to me.

"Jake, you just could have talked to me. Even if you accidentally would hurt me I can defend myself without hurting you."

Jake: "But I don't want to let it get that far, I'm giving you the chance to officially leave me if it gets too dangerous for you."

"Jake!"

Jake: "...and I won't be mad at you either if you decide that way"

"Hey!"

Jake: "I- I just don't want to hurt you.." He's talking in panic, hysterical.

"Jake," I softened my voice, yelling is of no use here

Jake: "What?!" he yells at me, "I don't even know how to control these powers or how to hide them! Goddammit, you just don't understand and you can't help me."

"I can help you!"

Jake: "No you can't, no one can help me!"

"Remember my sister?"

He only nods, his eyes wet.

"She said the exact same things to me but I helped her and I'll help you too if you let me."

I take both his hands in mine to show him that I love him.

Jake: "What if something goes wrong?"

"This is not going to happen."

Jake: "What if I hurt you?"

"I can defend and heal myself, don't worry about me."

Jake: "But what if-"

"Stop it! I'll help you. First, tell me how did you find out?"

He takes some deep breaths and for a few moments, he says nothing.

Jake: "Remember yesterday morning when I was so cramped?"

"Yes, of course."

Jake: "It wasn't because of my scar. An hour before you got up I washed my hands and outside on the street something fell over, I was startled and the water on my hands froze. You can't imagine how scared I was."

"Why didn't you wake me up? I could've helped you."

Jake: "I was afraid that you maybe leave me. Like you did because of my behavior."

Ouch, that hurts. He's right, I'm always running away if something negative happens.

"I'm so sorry Jake, I just thought you don't want to me to be around you. That you couldn't stand me at all. I didn't mean to worry you, I really am so sorry."

Jake: I know, but you can't always run away when we have a fight, that's not how it works."

"I'm sorry, it's a fucking habit of mine. I try to let it go, but I keep failing, I haven't learned any differently in six years on the street. The golden street rules"