𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓢𝓲𝔁

Jake POV

While Ruby was still sleeping, I checked my phone and saw the message from one of my hacking friends. I had already read the message a hundred times, but the feeling when I read the notification for the first time was like a load had been lifted from my heart.

Unknown: She is safe.

Nothing else. I was glad the two were in Duskwood right now. I had sent them both to look for her. And apparently, she was in danger. A white-haired man allegedly followed her. The same man who walked past my apartment that night? I finally wanted to know who she was and, above all, who her pursuers were.

I remembered her anger when she learned I wanted to bug her through Jessy. Disgusted goosebumps ran down my skin as I thought about dancing with that blonde hussy. I just noticed yesterday that Ruby had a lot of self-doubt about her body, and I was willing to work on that with her.

For me, Ruby was the most beautiful woman on earth.

And no blonde tart can compete with such a disgustingly pungent perfume. My stomach twisted at the thought of her perfume. I had never smelled such a bad perfume. And as soon as I rejected her, she threw her arms around the next guy. And I danced with someone like that.

I remembered Jessy yelling at Phil to talk to me and tell me the truth. He admitted he performed the kiss. He gave her a choice to say stop, but she didn't seem to say anything, so the kiss followed. Phil could still tell me so much; I knew very well that he only took his chance because he knew she was devastated.

And somehow, I lost control at that moment and punched him. Something cracked in his nose, but it didn't appear broken. And what was even weirder was that he didn't want to report me. He just held his nose and went back into the bar.

Just as I was about to search for her, someone hit me on the head with something hard. I woke up tied to a chair and saw my old friend Damon in front of me. He continued to rant about how he planned to kill me and how slowly and painfully he wanted to do it.

And then she came.

And she showed what a true beast she could be.

I was impressed and admired her.

I put my phone down and saw her in front of me, still asleep. I put my phone aside and decided to go back to sleep. I fell asleep with a big smile thinking back to last night. When we got up and had breakfast, I could finally persuade her to tell me who she really was.

"I think it's time to tell you everything about me." She sighed. "I don't know how to start this story."

"Come one," I squeezed her hand on the table. "Let's sit down on the sofa."

She nodded, and I led her to my sofa, and we sat next to each other, cuddling up while she looked out the window, and I helped her start.

"Who are your pursuers, and what do they want from you?" I asked.

"They hunt anything and everything supernatural," she started. "They saw me using my powers as a small child. I wanted to show them to my little sister. My mother saw us doing this and ended things immediately, knowing we had to keep our powers a secret."

"Did they do something to your family?"

"Yes," she paused. "They shot my father." My grip on her tightened, and she took my hand, holding on like she was about to fall. "They thought he was a wizard. But he was just a normal human with no powers. I saw everything as he fell to the ground, and the blood splattered on our window pane." She paused again. "For fuck's sake!" She cursed. "I was fucking ten years old when it happened, and my sister was five years old!"