𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓔𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽

Ruby POV

"No!" is the only word I said; I panicked too much.

Jake typed like a madman on his laptop. I didn't know what he was doing there, but I didn't interrupt him. It seemed important.

"Ruby," he started. "We have a huge problem."

"How big can the problem be? We always have problems."

"Damon and your pursuers are here. Only ten miles away from this motel."

He slammed his fist on the table. I flinched at his sudden reaction, and I rushed to our bags and grabbed them. He closed his laptop and put it in his bag.

He rushed to me and gave me a peck on the lips, and then we stormed out of the motel room. While we walked down the stairs, I put my hair into a messy ponytail and put one of his hoodies on. It was way too big. It may not be the best decision.

I told him that I'd talk to the receptionist.

"Hello, how can I help you? You seem to be in a hurry," the blonde-haired woman said.

"Yes, there is an emergency at home, and we want to return as soon as possible."

"Oh, I understand," she said, clicking with her cursor on her computer. "You didn't stay long, so it only cost 90 euros."

I paid her with cash, took Jake's hand, and left the motel with him. Outside, the cold air hit me like a wave, and I started shaking. Jake put his arm around me and stroked my arm to keep me warm. I thankfully snuggled up to him while we walked through the streets.

I thought for a moment it was night as the only light offered to us was Jake's display of his phone, but the clock said it was morning. Now I knew what they meant that winter is exhausting in Alaska.

On his phone were two red dots coming closer to our location but still far away enough for us to flee.

"Now it's about you; show me your skills. I only know how to run away, but you know how to hide, and we definitely can't run away this time."

I took his hand and started running. Luckily, he was a fast runner. He asked from behind, "Where are we running?"

"I don't know, and that's the best."

"How on earth can this be the best?" He asked, shocked.

"You'll see."

We ran until we were on a big lake, behind us were the mountains and a big forest on the other side of the lake. What did you want more? We were completely out of breath, and as we realized that we were safe here, we sat down on a tree trunk and tried to catch our breaths.

"Wow, they're still on their way to the motel; let's hope this will lead them to a dead end."

"It will, but we must be prepared for anything, okay? Are you ready for a life on the street, or do you have any other ideas?"

"With you on my side, I'm ready for everything," he said with a lovely grin.

He kissed me on the forehead, and we looked at the lake; my heart jumped for joy when I saw the reflection of the lake.

Polar Lights!

I look up to the sky, and Jake does the same. "Oh wow, how beautiful. I've never seen something so beautiful," I said admiringly.

"I can agree with you. What a wonderful sight." He laid his left arm around my shoulders and snuggled up to me. I rested my head on his shoulder, and we continued watching the night sky. For once, we could enjoy something in peace.