𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓝𝓲𝓷𝓮

Ruby POV

Clouds flew past the plane as we made our way back to Germany. Hardly anyone was on the plane. It was almost scary. They all looked like important managers and bosses, probably because this was a business flight. Suits, expensive aftershave, high-quality laptops, Rolex watches, and patent leather shoes.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jake nodding his head rhythmically, probably to his favorite song. He didn't know I was looking at him, and I used this to watch him being peaceful for this short time. I wanted him to enjoy this moment because I knew our life would be messy once we returned to Germany. While Jake enjoyed his music, I decided to take a little nap.

"Hey Ruby, wake up," a male voice spoke, softly shaking me.

"Uh, what?" I asked, squeezing my eyes shut at the bright light of the plane.

"We arrived."

Wait what?!

I sat up straight and realized I slept for the whole five hours. But at least I was relaxed and ready for an investigation by Alan Bloomgate, aka police chief of Duskwood. As we entered the airport hall in Berlin, we took the train to return to Duskwood.

Arriving in Duskwood, Alan was already waiting for us. Leaning against his police car, he watched impatiently on his watch, and his head snapped up when we stood in front of him. He ordered us to sit in the backseat. Before I got in, Jake quickly kissed my hair and let go of me. To be honest, I was worried about him. Scared that Alan would snitch him to the FBI.

"Don't worry, I am not subject to his duties," Jake whispered to reassure me.

I just nodded, and I didn't feel relieved at all, but Jake was right. Alan didn't care about Jake. He only cared about Richy and me. An Enigma, as he called me.

Dammit, the police think I was Richy's accomplice!

How would I explain this?

Why didn't Richy correct them, or didn't they tell him they suspect me now, too?

Unfortunately, we were quicker at the police station than I hoped. Jake looked out the window the whole drive, and I was lost in thought, occasionally meeting Alan's eyes in the rearview mirror. Alan stepped out of the car and opened the doors for us, and when I wanted to get out, he had to help me. My eyes were as wobbly as jelly. He smiled as he grabbed my arm and gave me something to hold on. Jake's eyes burned on me and Alan. I knew he didn't like what he saw. So. He soon came to me, pushed Alan softly away, and grabbed my arm, possessing me and showing Alan that I was his.

Oh boy.

"Are you okay, Miss Reed?" Alan asked.

"Yeah, I am just not ready to see him," I admitted more to myself.

He sighed, "I understand, but I would first talk to you alone. You would have to wait outside in the corridor." He glanced at Jake, who just nodded his head.

Jake and I separated in the corridor; he slumped down on a chair, and I walked into an interrogation room with Alan.

Great, this will be fun... Not!

"I'm coming back in ten minutes. I have to get my stuff, and then we start the interrogation."

"Okay," I almost whispered, fighting tears.

After what felt like an eternity, he finally came back. He put a notepad on the table, accompanied by a recorder and a coffee. I had to smile when I saw the coffee. He kept his offer. He smiled back. I had to admit that he was pretty handsome. Through his voice, I thought he was older, mainly because he had an ex-wife. But nowadays, that didn't mean anything anymore. If I had to guess, I would say he was in his mid-30s.